Vocalizing ...

Thread: Vocalizing ...

Rusty's Mom is offline Member

DefaultVocalizing ...

Jim sending Remi on a blind retrieve for a duck he planted for her after a hunt with Rusty yesterday morning.

She is sooo excited she's already yiking when we open the garage door and bring her outside. Jim sits her at left heel, gives her the line he wants her to take and then says "BACK" as her release command. That's how she responds. Usually worse. You'll notice that just as she passes the first stand of Pampas grass about 60 yards out, Jim whistle sits her and then gives her a "Right Over" to the area of the hide. She nailed the bird once she hit the scent cone.

20121024224902 - YouTube

The yiking is Remi's excited anticipation of a retrieve. She's 8 years old and you'd think she would have outgrown it by now. Fact is it only got worse over the past few years and became completely intolerable in the blind when hunting. It's even worse when she sees ducks committing or Jim picking up his gun in the blind. That's why she was retired. No matter what corrective measures Jim used, he couldn't break the habit. And that included assistance from some of the top trainers in the country. What a shame.
    Carrying on in their big brother's memory ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lilypi is offline Senior Member

Sad that she can't participate in the actual hunting, but I love that you still set up retrieves for her. She's so happy to be helping daddy!
    Laura & Maddox

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Oh my gosh she really loves to retrieve! I know that had to be a problem when hunting, but I think it's wonderful that she loves it so much. How sad that she could not be trained out of that so she didn't have to retire.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Awww poor Remi!! My but she DOES love it!!! I think it is so wonderful that you both still let her "hunt"!

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

Boy, that's one dog that wants to go get that duck! Pity you had to retire her, but you sure can tell she loves it.
    My Lab is smarter than your honor student.

Deacon 12/1/1999-4/2/2012 RIP, bestest boy.
    Diesel 3/29/2010 My little hard charger.

Sedona is offline Senior Member

I think it is really wonderful putting the duck for her to find and bring to you. I know you wish they could hunt forever. Such a great love for your dogs.

Isn't it great to have a sister

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

Very fun to watch, Carol. She is such a spirited soul. How impressive to watch the handling.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Heartwarming even though she shouldn't ! All of that uncontained joy !

georgie is offline Senior Member

We really enjoyed the video. We have one like that "in black." Kate is like Remi. She can do the work but getting to the field she sounds just like Remi. Once she starts hunting she is fine. She is ready to move up to master in hunt tests but she won't be running any tests until she can control her vocalizing from the holding blind to the line. We have been working with her & also will be contacing a pro with experience with correcting this problem. She sure is fun to watch her work though...once she gets to the line. I think that is one of the hardest problems to correct.

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

oh, that's so sad, she must miss it so much!