Wanting to rescue a Lab

Thread: Wanting to rescue a Lab

Monkey is offline Junior Member

DefaultWanting to rescue a Lab

Hello folks,

I have lurked this board for a while now, and have looked into in rescuing a Lab. I have done the research and believe this is the best route for me. I have read up on these rescue dogs and am heartbroken at what they have gone through and wish to give them some TLC. However, I have some questions to ask you experienced members.

We have 5 members in my household with all of us being 18 and older. However, I am filling out an application and I am 18. Will this deter me in any way?

I have skimmed over the application and have seen the part where they asked about whether we own or rent. Do they ask to see our property paperwork? I am not too keen on showing that information.

This will also be my first dog, and have no references for a veterinarian. What should I put?
    Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Do you live with your parents? I don't think anyone would adopt to you without your parent being the applicant. Whoever is on the lease or owns the house should be on board with getting a dog. A rescue needs some assurance that the family adopting a dog is going to be responsible.

If this is your first dog, say that. Best to be honest.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

are you living with other roomates? if so the rescue is probably going to discuss cost and work involved in owning a dog - they are not cheap so they will want to ensure you are able to handle the expense of a dog. If you live with your parents then the rescue is likely going to want your parents to be 100% on board and ask what your plans are when you move (because it can be hard to find an apt that takes dogs).

No we don't ask to see paperwork. If you mark that you rent most rescues will call the landlord to ensure you are ok to have dogs. because many people unfortunately get the dog then the landlord says no and rescues don't want to risk it.

As a rescue we will want to meet everyone that lives in the home and ensure everyone wants a dog.

for the vet, just say you are a new dog owner with no vet and you are open to suggestions.
    Last edited by Tanya; 11-25-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Good luck. All my dogs have been rescues. For Nellie (the one on the left) the rescue did a home inspection. I had already owned 2 labs before her and was prepared. All they are concerned about is that the dog they have invested so much money in gets a good and loving home.

Last spring I was on Facebook when someone posted that a 9 year old blind lab who had been rescued was being turned into a shelter because the young man's roommates did not want him. I jumped in and the guy brought the dog to my home. He is now safe in a senior sanctuary in Pennsylvania. these things happen when the rescue is not a good one.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Monkey is offline Junior Member

Yes I currently live with my parents. For the application I am just putting my name down, but everyone else is on board. I am a student, but the Lab will never be home alone. I am hoping the Lab and my father can keep each other company as he has recently had a stroke and is often home by himself.

Thanks for the help guys!

justine is offline Senior Member

They are going to want to talk to your parents, most definitely. If you rent, they might want to see your lease, specifically if there's anything in it regarding pets. If you parents own the house, that might suffice, but if you're putting you as the name, they will want to talk to your parents.

Regarding the vet - I would just tell them you will be asking around for recommendations and you don't have a vet yet.