is my lab fretting or sick

Thread: is my lab fretting or sick

burningfury is offline Junior Member

Unhappyis my lab fretting or sick

My lab Tigger is around 8 years old, and im not sure if he is fretting over me or if there is something wrong.

i had moved with my lab to my girlfriends house in early April was around when i brought my lab down there, i lived with him there till august but the job prospects in the town were very low so i had to move and i had to leave him at my girlfriends mums house.
    since around 1 month and a bit ago my girlfriends mum told he has been losing weight and scratching really bad to the point of now not having fur on his stomach. but he is still eating like normal, playing tail is wagging still looking like a very happy dog.

a little bit of his past may have to do with this i am not sure i know he had been scratching for a long time before then i know he seen his brother "Mack" die from a fit while we were out which was last year.

symptoms are,losing weight and he is scratching a lot and from what i am told the skin on his stomach has gone very dry and is from what i am told his got a infection or a ooze like substance on it. i am not sure if scratching caused this.

at the moment i don't really have the money to get him looked at but if i have to i will just have to make sure he is okay and i thought i would come here for some advice or if anybody Else's lab has had anything like this, any other question you may need to ask feel free as i am very keen on getting my dog fit and well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe you can call a vet and make arrangements for a payment plan. The movings and you leaving him is enough to make him very upset. (fretting and sick)

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Strongly recommend an exam with the Veterinarian. Weight loss, constant itching, hairloss and oozing skin all require Vet assistance. Random people on the internet will not be able to properly diagnose or advise treatment for your pet. Please ask family and friends for financial help if necessary. Imagine if this were you with all these symptoms, would you wait to seek medical help? I truly do understand financial hardships but your pet needs help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Lab's have a tendency toward allergies. Sometimes a change to a grain free food will help. It could be fleas. Fleas are serious and can cause weight loss, anemia, hair loss itching and also be a source for parasitic worms. The dog needs to see a vet. You can go to CareCredit® Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures and apply for a card. You get an instant answer, and even a printable page so you can use it right away. I am not alone in my thinking that when you become a pet owner, it is your responsibility for medical care. That might mean tightening your belt or doing without something, but you need to see that he has the proper care. If he were your human child, you would make it happen if the child were sick. Your dog deserves no less.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I would see a vet. It could be many different things and early diagnosis the earlier he will heal. I could be something simple like fleas or allergies, but could be something more.

Good thoughts coming.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

burningfury is offline Junior Member

Defaultthank you

thank you i will take him wednesday

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Has his diet changed (different food?).

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

justine is offline Senior Member

Stress can do funny things to dogs, just like people. Was there a change in diet, as Amy asked? Some Labs are allergic to grains or certain proteins, so definitely look into that.

The oozing is not good - that might need some antibiotics from the vet and you should somehow prevent the dog from scratching.