How to change sleep pattern

Thread: How to change sleep pattern

Bobk is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow to change sleep pattern

Sophie is a 2 1/2 year yellow lab. She was sleeping in crate until few weeks ago. She was waking up at two am wife or me would let her out and then take back to crate where she would bark until we would let her sleep in family room Zshe figured out that if she throws a tantrum she would be allow to sleep on the furniture. Any ideas on how to get her back to the crate routine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Ignore her when she barks. Otherwise you are rewarding her for complaining and she will keep doing that. Is she so untrustworthy that she really needs to be in the crate at night? Mine were both uncreated at that age overnight. When alone during the day - I can see crating. But if she is not being destructive you might want t gve her more freedom.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Ignore her when she barks. Otherwise you are rewarding her for complaining and she will keep doing that. Is she so untrustworthy that she really needs to be in the crate at night? Mine were both uncreated at that age overnight. When alone during the day - I can see crating. But if she is not being destructive you might want t gve her more freedom.
    x10
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

What's causing her to get up at 2AM? Do you take her water away in the evening, or is she free to drink until she is crated for bed? If the latter, try restricting her water in the evening.

Bobk is offline Junior Member

Generally she hears the coyotes howling and making a racket. We always crated our other Lab on advice of the breeder and our vet. We leave her uncrated for short period of time when we go on errands. She typically does not want to go outside but we make her after waiting a few minutes