Another Jack scare
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Jack scare

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother Jack scare

At 15 years old, Jack is slowing down and not able to do what he used to do. He can't jump onto the bed, but he doesn't counter surf anymore. He does not appear to hear much. When I talk to him he looks around to see where the sound is coming from. I am usually found on the third try. He can't run, but the speed of a brisk walk still surprises us. Like in headed for his dinner bowl or the car. His rear legs have long been a concern, his muscles atrophied a long time ago. He has arthritis in his legs and back. He gets up and down with some difficulty, but he does not whine, wince, or seem to notice it takes more time.

We go to the Bark park almost every day. He must have his squeaky toy. He does not leave home without it. It is his baton. His symbol of what he has always been- a retriever. He carries it from the car to the bark park, and refuses to give it to me until we have walked to the picnic bench and I sit down. He turns his head, steps away, or stops. Can't have it. Once I have sat down he will give it to me to throw. He does not run. He walks. With a purpose. sometimes there is a spring to the step, often now it is but a prod. Just one foot in front of the other with a sometimes unsteady balance.

This afternoon he retrieved for almost a half hour without any real break. Then he went after another one and his hindquarters drooped, his right rear leg went sideways but he continued to complete the retrieve. He ended up in a stagger? moving almost crab like. Missed the toy by ten feet and was making a wide circle trying to keep from falling down by continuing to walk when he just fell over sideways. He ended up stretched out on his right side. He raised his headed, wagged his tail then put his head back down on the ground. He did not move. I picked up his toy to see what he would do. He raised his head took it very firmly-I'll take that, thank you very much. He had trouble getting to his feet. I lifted him to his feet by his harness handle. I asked if he were ready to go home. He walked about without any sign of problem would not let me touch his squeaky toy so it was time to go. He walked unaided to the car carrying his toy, looking like he had a large cigar in his mouth and has been fine for the last three hours. Fetched his beans for dinner, ate, been out twice, no problem. Very disconcerting and scary.

Could this have been a stroke? Maybe something else? No idea. If it were a stroke, are there any indicators? Arthritis interfering with his control of his legs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

That had to be so scary. Good thoughts for Jack.

tismom is offline Senior Member

Very good thoughts for Jack. I hope that the trouble was just the exercise and his weak hind quarters.

Titan--Chocolate 4/15/01
    Moses--Yellow 10/12/09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

No idea what that was, but I'm glad Jack seems to be feeling better now.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Most likely just his age, Andy. But don't rule out mild exercise induced collapse. The back leg thing...

Seamus and Flynn

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Scary. I hope it is nothing serious. Glad he is ok.
    Erns will fall and stagger if he over does it, twists, or for some other unknown reason his back leg gives out. He has a point his leg can't take any more.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Andy, I enjoy hearing your stories about Jack but it makes me sad when I hear news like this. My best to your boy.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Oh Andy! You had to have been so scared! I am glad he seems to be over the episode. It is so hard to know what to do when they get this old. Maybe he just over did it. I will keep you and Jack in my thoughts.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Hoping it was just too much exercise, Andy. Prayers and good thoughts for the old pirate.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

No idea - hugs and prayers for Jack!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast