Tie Out Suggestions Please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tie Out Suggestions Please

Jes
    Jes is offline Member

DefaultTie Out Suggestions Please

Hello all! Does anyone have suggestions on a good tie out solution while my dog is chilling in the yard? I know a fence would be best but that is not an option right now.

I was thinking fill a hole with cement & let the tie out steak harden in it but the dog running after a squirrel while I'm not paying attention + ripping the boulder right out of ground = dog running down the street with boulder trailing behind is wheeling through my mind.

Any suggestions, ideas, ramblings welcome! Thanks
    Tucker & Remington's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Tie outs + dog = broken legs in my mind.

My little girl broke both bones in her back leg when a long lead got wrapped around her leg. I wouldn't tie a dog outside.

Samson is offline Senior Member

I don't think that you will find anybody who will recommend a tie out without any supervision if that is what you were thinking.

Too many things to go wrong - not least being theft !

I know that some people sling a high wire between trees so that there is no likelyhood of the dog throttling itself but again, not without somebody being out with him !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I'm not a fan of tie outs at all, but one of the best options I've seen that helps prevent the dog getting tangled is one of those skyline dog trolly things.. similar to the below picture, but you can put "stops" in the line far enough before the trees/posts so the dog can't get wrapped around it. You can also use a coiled line from the overhead line to your dog so it also helps to prevent the dog from getting tangled.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I don't like tie-outs unsupervised, either. The cons far outweigh the pros, in my opinion. How about a large enclosed dog run?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

amazongold is offline Senior Member

My boys go out on a tie-out because I am in a rented duplex and have no fencing. I never leave them unattended, but the tie-out gives them the option of roaming a good portion of the yard and I can stay inside to watch them when it's wet or cold.

My tie-out is a spiral stake with fins that gets twirled into the ground, with a rotating top that the line gets attached to. I have zip-ties (2 each) also attaching the line to the stake and the collar, just for safety reasons. The stake is close to the wall of the house and gives them 25' in all directions from the stake, in a semi-circle around the yard. I often check the line to be sure it is not kinked or cracked anywhere.

It is not an ideal situation, but it is the best I can do at this point.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I'd go with Justine's suggestion.

rmcbuckeye is offline Senior Member

Great thread. Following this. I also have a unfenced backyard - 3 acres at least! I've been thinking about a trolley for Ryder, but Mike wants to train him to stay in the yard. Dozer stays in the yard, no matter what. I'm not sure how exactly you can train a dog to stay in the yard off leash? Especially to play fetch/swim/etc. I've never had a dog that would stay in the yard! I had hound dogs (Beagle mixes and a purebred) and a Siberian Husky who loved to run every chance she could. It was impossible to catch her, thankfully she always came home after she had her fun. My parents didn't have a fenced in yard until Anna (husky) came along. She had a trolley so she LOVED it. You could eventually see the 'path' she'd create from going back and forth. We've thought about putting up a portion of our yard fenced. It's expensive, though.
    “The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.”

amazongold is offline Senior Member

The trolley line is a great idea, provided you have a place to put one. My lot has no trees and no place I can put a trolley line, so the tie-out I have does the job.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

rmcbuckeye is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    The trolley line is a great idea, provided you have a place to put one. My lot has no trees and no place I can put a trolley line, so the tie-out I have does the job.
    Love the trolley idea - we definitely have plenty of space for him to run/walk around with it! He'd have over 1-2 acres just to romp around. Even though I have 3 acres, but the last portion of it is mostly woods/way out back where the deer are. So I'd rather keep him close by where I CAN see him. Also I have the Cleveland Metroparks in my backyard along with the Cuyahoga Valley National Park about 20 minutes away. We will be walking/hiking a lot - we really love the outdoors, so we can't wait until Ryder is older and we can bring him with us. He'll love it.
    “The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast