Board and Train?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board and Train?

NYJoe is offline Member

DefaultBoard and Train?

Has anyone ever done a board and train for their puppy/dog? This trainer is extremely reputable and I have called several vets in the area for their input. I also looked them up online plus a friend of mine used them. They board and train for 2 weeks using only positive reinforcement. They do 5-6 short sessions per day. I work during the day and currently have a dog walker 2x per day as Dexter is 11 weeks old. So, please give me advice pro con whatever. Criticize me all you want! I can take it. What to do? Thanks in advance.

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I would personally never send my dog out to be trained.

training is a great bonding time for you and your dog. Plus, more often than not it is YOU the owner needs more training. They teach YOU how to teach the dog.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

justine is offline Senior Member

Nope - I would never do that, especially not with a puppy.. A lot of people that do this end up getting the dog back and it doesn't solve any of the issues. Why? Because of course the trainer knows how to train the dog and it will act great for them, but if the owner isn't trained to train the dog, then it's just $$ out the door.

It will be WAY better for you to do a one hour class every week with your dog and practice at home. It will help build your relationship, too, as Tanya mentioned. Plus it's ton of interaction/socialization with other dogs, which is very important at Dexter's age.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NYJoe is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    Nope - I would never do that, especially not with a puppy.. A lot of people that do this end up getting the dog back and it doesn't solve any of the issues. Why? Because of course the trainer knows how to train the dog and it will act great for them, but if the owner isn't trained to train the dog, then it's just $$ out the door.

It will be WAY better for you to do a one hour class every week with your dog and practice at home. It will help build your relationship, too, as Tanya mentioned. Plus it's ton of interaction/socialization with other dogs, which is very important at Dexter's age.
    Thank you for your thoughts. THey do have a teach the owner session after the 2 weeks where I would learn for a few one hour sessions myself on how to use the training that was given. However I am thinking I may end up not doing this. Thanks again for your input.

Joe and Dex

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
    THey do have a teach the owner session after the 2 weeks where I would learn for a few one hour sessions myself on how to use the training that was given.
    While this seems like it might be enough, in my experience, it takes MUCH more than just a couple sessions to really grasp things. For example - I am just starting to compete in obedience and it has taken me MONTHS to teach myself not to drop my left shoulder when I am giving treats while the dog is heeling.

Personally I really enjoy taking classes with my dog - it's a different kind of bonding and there isn't really anything that can replace it.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Absolutely not. This is the time you need to be with your puppy. Bonding and training together.

Believe it or not, your puppy is smart. They will learn everything the trainer has to offer quickly, but they will learn how to behave with the trainer. In the short time they train YOU, you'll feel like it's easy and when you are back alone with your pup, your pup will think "That's not the guy that told me to do all that stuff" and then blow you off anyway.

Go to an obedience class WITH your pup. Most of the learning is going to be for YOU, not the puppy.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I did this, many years ago, with my Great Dane. She was about 8 months old at the time. The guy was awesome, did all kinds of training, and told us in advance it should take two months to train her for obedience, both voice commands and hand signals. She was done in 4 weeks because she was incredibly eager to please. However, she bonded quite strongly with the trainer during that period and she was a different dog when I got her back. It took quite a while to get back to the bonding we had before I sent her to the trainer.

Unless you are having something really special done, that you are totally incapable of doing, then I would train your pup yourself. Go to classes together and learn together, make your bond stronger. Just wait until your pup's had all its' shots before exposing it to areas where other dogs are or have been.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I'm getting ready to send my 18 month old Curly for field training. Single-handely the scariest thing I've ever done. But it will be good for her. Gulp.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I think Belles mom boards and trains dogs. Hopefully she will check in with some advice and tell you what you can expect, or maybe you can send her a private message.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

What do you want to accomplish with your dog?

I do this board and train a lot (I am the trainer, people send the dog to me). Primarily, I train for hunting, but because ethe dog lives in ,y house and is a part of my pack, house manners are also a part of the deal.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast