A couple concerns:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple concerns:

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

DefaultA couple concerns:

I'm know I'm somewhat of a nervous puppy mom, but I do have a couple questions. Jack, my 6 1/2 month chocolate lab eats sticks. Literally eats them and occasionally throws up a clump of toothpick-like stick splinters. Now, I've tried taking the sticks away and giving an appropriate chew, but out in the yard, in the garage (where we have a wood stove and he'll chew on a piece of fire wood) there's too much wood to be able to remove it all! Also, we have a pond in our yard, and although he'll play around the edge, Jack won't swim. My neighbor brought his 14 month old yellow lab over and she loves to swim, but Jack wouldn't go in with her. Will he when he gets older? Or maybe some labs don't like to swim? He knows how because my husband carried him out a little way one day and Jack swam back to shore with no problem. Sorry if these things seem sort of stupid, I said I'm a nervous puppy mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I don't think it's silly at all. My Chocolate lab chewed stick and logs like they were candy......BUT she never swallowed. She made the best kindling ever and lots of it! But your is actually eating it. I would be working really hard on "leave it".
    Swimming....Mya showed NO interest in swimming at all. As she grew up she really admired my daughters dog (Dixie) who loved to swim. Somewhere between Mya's love for Dixie and me........we got her into the water slowly and she now loves swimming (it took a couple of years though) - BUT she won't go in unless I do.

my2labs is offline Senior Member

Mo loves sticks, leaves, and mulch. I can't grab them out of his mouth fast enough so he swallows some of them but not enough to cause any serious problems. My vet said it's a puppy thing and as long as he is having normal bowel movements, it's all good. As far as swimming goes, both Abbey and Cinder hated the water. Abbey wouldn't even go out when it rained or the ground was wet. Mo already has a magnetic attraction to any standing water. Looks like I will have to get him a kiddy pool and take him over to my day's to swim this summer. Good luck with your pup

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    Or maybe some labs don't like to swim? He knows how because my husband carried him out a little way one day and Jack swam back to shore with no problem.
    This may be why he doesn't like to swim. You may have forced his hand before he was ready. Let him take to the water when he's ready. My Samm isn't a big swimmer, while my chocolate can't get enough of it.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie loves sticks and firewood and tree branches, you name it! We are lucky though, since she usually just mulches them and leaves the mess! I am sure she manages to swallow some though. She loves to swim. We bought her a kiddie pool and she got used to water playing in it.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Questions are never stupid. You will be surprised many have at one time had the same thoughts.

All of mine chew sticks. Winter with the wood basket I constantly have mulch all over the carpet.
    Some Labs swim some don't. Kassa went to her knees. At the beach Tess will follow Erns out only to get the ball.In the pool she wants to get in because he is, but once in she walks around the sides.

Ernies family threw him in. I thought this was terrible, but he is an amazing swimmer thank goodness. Swimming has been one ofo the best things for his joints. He is a fish in a Labs coat.

Yoou could encourage him with balls and fetch. Mine will not fetch on land. The beach, water and a ball they are in heaven.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

justine is offline Senior Member

It took Abbey three summers for the swimming thing to "click." What helped was having another dog swimming out to ger a toy she wanted - she finally decided to swim out past where she could touch and she hasn't stopped! She is a fish and I can't keep her out of the water. Just keep providing opportunities and eventually it might click.

With the sticks - it sounds like the only way you'd be able to stop it 100% would be to have the dog tethered to you and each time it grabs a stick, take it away and tell him "No." and give him something appropriate to chew on. Every single time.

labby is offline Senior Member

Fallon is a stick eater. This is why she's now wearing an e-collar and gets nicked every time she picks one up. Raven carries sticks around but never eats them.

I would never force a dog into the water. They'll go in on their own with a buddy eventually.

Laura

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Maxx loves to carry sticks and sometimes chew on them but he does not eat them, just makes a yucky, gross pile. I would worry about an obstruction or injury if the puppy is constantly eating the sticks. As Laura stated above, you may need to get an e-collar, learn how to use it properly, and train your puppy to not eat the sticks and wood this way if nothing else is working.
    Some Labs do not like to swim, forcing it is the worst thing you can do, (like your hubby did although I am sure he meant well ). Give him plenty of opportunities to play/watch a Lab who does like the water and if he is going to be a swimmer it will probably not be very long before he is swimming also. Make it fun with favorite balls, etc. Baby pools can also be very helpfuul in getting him used to the,water. If he ends up being a Lab that does not like to swim it is not the end of the world! Good luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Thank you everyone for the advise. I pretty much thought what you all are telling me about the water, that when and if he gets ready, he'll swim. We're trying to monitor the wood eating closer. He knows what "leave it" means, he's actually very smart and has a pretty good vocabulary of words that he knows the meaning of. Right now I can't keep him tethered to me because of my broken hip. Soon as that heals, we'll get back on track on our training. I love this web site, I've spent many hours (already) reading posts and looking at pictures. I'm so glad I found this page. Thanks to all for making me feel so comfortable here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast