Puppy is challenging EVERYthing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy is challenging EVERYthing

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy is challenging EVERYthing

My chocolate lab is 6 1/2 months old. He has always come to me when I call him. When I throw his ball/stick/frisbee/ whatever, he has always brung in back, at least 4 or 5 times then he sometimes goes and gets it and just lays down with it. I assume his signal that he wants a break. The problem is, just the last couple days, he's being very stuborn. I'll call him to come back in the house and he'll stand 10 feet away and just stare at me. I throw a toy and he just looks at me. Even the garbage, he's never, ever bothered the garbage can, now he'll go stick his head in it and I have to yell at him 2 or 3 times to leave it. What's up with this? According to the "puppy books" he's in his "teen years stage" and just seeing how far he can push. Any ideas how to stop this annoying behavior? Up until last week he was the best behaved dog in the county. Now he's a borderline brat.
    Last edited by KathyArch; 11-15-2012 at 07:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

back to basics. do not issue a command you cannot reinforce (so don't call him unless he is going to come back, keep him on a long line if you have to or use another way to get him in). NILF (nothing in life si free) he needs to work for everything and anything. double up on the daily training.

make sure he gents plenty of physical and mental exercise.

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Boy do I remember that! I agree with what Tanya said. Back to square one!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Oh, and remember: This, too, shall pass. Doesn't make it any less frustrating, though.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

That is one puppy stage I do not miss! Brat sums it up nicely, lol.

Tanya gave great advice. Be consistent, try to be patient - remember that they don't understand why you are raising your voice. And Cam is right - this will pass, feel free to vent your frustrations here as many of us have been there!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Aw...the teenage years. Back to the basics. NILF. Don't issue a command that you can't enforce. Use a long line, if you say "come in" and your pup just stands there, or totally ignores you, you have a way to control the behavior. Be consistent. One good thing, this too shall pass. Do short periods of obedience every day. They will learn come in means come in, sit means sit. It just takes patience, consistency & love. They just want to push the limits & test the boundries at this age.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Yep...teenagers! I remember those days! Go back to training, you need to brush up on all the stuff he already knew. Be patient, it will pass. I can tell you hours of funny stories from Sophies teen time! She was a pill!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the encouragement. The last dog I had was a wolf hybred and I didn't get him until he was over 6 months. As I said, I've had Jack since he was 5 weeks. I've never felt the need to tie him up when he's outside as he always came right back. About a month ago, he jumped up and knocked me over and broke my hip. Although my husband loves him totally, I was his main "trainer" right now I'm limited on the ways to work with him. He's a wonderful pup, very smart, and (until recently) very eager to please. I am trying to be patient, I know he doesn't get why I get frustrated with him, but at the same time......I know what commands he knows. Thank you for the responses, I will cling to the hope that "this too, will pass"

justine is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others. As dogs mature, just like kids, they try to test their limits. If you do a quick Google search for "NILF dog training" you will find a ton of articles on it. Basically EVERYTHING you give the dog or allow the dog to do, it has to work for it.

So prior to giving the dog it's meals, you make it do a trick, then sit and wait until you release it to eat it's meal. Or before you let the dog out, it has to do a trick, lay down and wait for you to give it the ok.

Here's a couple of pages to help you: Nothing in life is free - NILF - dog training - Article on Pets.ca | Pets.ca
    How to Teach Your Dog Self-Control - Teaching Self-Control to Your Dog
    Nothing in Life is Free

labby is offline Senior Member

welcome to the teenage stage. As the others have said, go back to basics. If he's not coming when called, than put him back on lead and enforce your commands. If he's misbehaving in the house, then go back to crating him when you can't watch him. Google Nothing In Life Is Free dog training and start doing that. This stage usually passes, but you can't let him get away with stuff either. Good luck.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast