Labs and grief
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labs and grief

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultLabs and grief

The boys have been so great through Bill's illness and death. The 9 days that Bill was home under hospice care, we had people in and out of the house constantly. Deliveries, visitors, nurses, etc. Champ and Buddy were sent to their crates every time another vehicle turned in the driveway. They were really good about being in there, didn't fuss or make noise unless they needed to go out. A couple of days, they were in the crates almost all day with the exception of being fed and going out to potty. Poor guys! Everyone was amazed at how well-behaved they were. I was very proud of them.

Most of the time when they were out, they were very careful around Bill and quieter than normal. Champ stayed as close to Bill as he could get; at his feet if he was in the living room, or next to the bed. Buddy followed me everywhere, as usual. They were allowed into the room after Bill passed, to see and sniff him, so they would know what had happened. Since then, Champ has been laying either in the corner next to where the hospital bed was, or in front of the kitchen door. You can see the sadness in his eyes, he misses Bill so much. He's just - droopy. I talk to them all the time and tell them that things are going to be better, but it's hard seeing him miss his Daddy. He's a man's dog, and even though he loves me, he craves attention from a man. He loves Dave, Bill's BIL, and was all over every male visitor when he was out of his crate. The women not so much, but he did enjoy the attention from my sister while she was here.

Buddy misses Bill, but not nearly as much as Champ does. He's pretty much back to normal.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Awww, that breaks my heart.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

So sad.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rmcbuckeye is offline Senior Member

That truly breaks my heart. My boyfriend's dad passed away from cancer about six years ago. At the time, Dozer was 3 years old. He was HIS dog. I was told that once he got sick, Dozer started to shy away and kept at a distance, being careful around him but after he had passed away, he was very depressed as well. You know who he learned to attach himself to? My boyfriend. After I met Mike, Dozer also learned to attach himself to me, because he knew I was with Mike! Now Dozer is "his" dog even though he lives at his mom's house. I think Dozer knew what was going on.
    “The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.”

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

*sniff*

justine is offline Senior Member

Aww

bett is offline Senior Member

they know.

joflake is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry Jackie, that made me cry. Poor guys, I'm sure they will adjust soon. Just give them lots of lovins.

Kori is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry, they will adjust, like us they just need time to grieve, Blessings to all of you.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry Jackie, for everything. When Jon's dad came to stay with us when his cancer got really bad and he could no longer live alone, Maxx was the same way with Bob. He rarely left his side and even though he was a puppy, 4 - 8 mos old, he was so very gentle with Bob. He grieved for some time after Bob died and would lay in the bedroom we had set up for Bob or in front of the bedroom door for quite some time.
    I think the ability of Labs to "just know" and their compassion and loyalty is remarkable. Emma's reaction was very different, I am not sure if it is because she is 1/2 Lab and 1/2 Border Collie or just her. I know how deeply she grieved when Ozzy died and Bob was one of the few people Emma did like. She seemed more worried about Maxx than anything. . I am sure with time Champ will adjust to this new chapter in your lives. He probably also is reacting some to all the emotions you are dealing with. Please know you continue to be in my prayers.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast