Behavioural issue with my lab :(

Thread: Behavioural issue with my lab :(

Angie 81 is offline Junior Member

WinkBehavioural issue with my lab :(

Hi there, i'm looking for advice if anyone can help, my 18 month chocolate lab Charlie is our first dog. We got him off the SPCA here in Montreal and we are sure we made the wrong choice of dog, his level of energy is way higher than ours and we have been trying to deal with it for about a year now. We love him dearly and wish he could adapt better to us and calm down but we haven't been successful. Charlie's problem is overexcitement/anxiety/nervousness... Especially around other dogs, i want to mke clear that he is very well socialized with other dogs and he's never being aggresive but for some reason everytime we are walking on the street and we encounter another dog he freacks out!!! He becomes so excited, pulls on the leash, it seems like he wants to meet everysingle dog he sees, the problem is that his reaction is unhealthy and we have had several episodes in wich the other dogs growl at him cuz his approach is too excited.
    We have tried exercising him before the walks but no matter how much exercise we get it doesn't change a thing.
    Also we cannot pet him as he becomes overexcited and starts acting out when we try to, the only way to caress him is when he's asleep at night.
    I have also noted a lot of anxiety as he whines for everything and nothing
    What can we do?? We love him but he is overwhelming at times and we are discouraged that we put so much effort to make him better but no improvement!!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this problem

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

First question is what obedience training has he had ?

justine is offline Senior Member

I do not know of any obedience training clubs near you, but perhaps you can give your vet a call and ask if they can recommend someone? I think that will be your best bet to "fixing" the behavioral issues. Mental stimulation also tires my dogs out a lot more than just physical stimulation, so that might help him calm down, too. Dogs do really well when you "work" them with training both physically and mentally.

You need to find a trainer and get him into some sort of basic obedience class. I understand he may "know" the basic commands, but to be able to do them in an environment with lots of distractions, other people and other dogs is completely different. I have learned SO much from going to classes with my dogs. Both of them learn very differently and require different training techniques, which I would never know if someone in one of my classes hadn't pointed it out to me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    First question is what obedience training has he had ?
    He got obedience trained at age of 8 months, it was hell because he was expected to stay on the leash and sit down while the trainer explained what we were supposed to do but he was barking at the trainer the whole time, and he looked upset at the fact that he couldn't play with the other dogs.
    Not even the trainer could get him to stop barking :s
    He does know the basic commands though, the "sit, stay, lay, come" but when in presence of other dogs he refuses to lay on the ground and if i ask him to sit he'll do it but he won't stop whining...

He got obedience trained at age of 8 months, it was hell because he was expected to stay on the leash and sit down while the trainer explained what we were supposed to do but he was barking at the trainer the whole time, and he looked upset at the fact that he couldn't play with the other dogs.
    He does know the basic commands though, the "sit, stay, lay, come" but when in presence of other dogs he refuses to lay on the ground and if i ask him to sit he'll do it but he won't stop whining...

I would find a different trainer - someone who works better with dog that are older and have issues to work out.

I will tell you that it takes a lot of time and dedication, but many issues can be resolved. Obviously I've never seen your dog when it's acting up, so it's hard to suggest how to approach this. Getting someone in person to assist will help - maybe have someone come to your house first and then once some issues are worked out you can try group classes again?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angie 81 View Post
    I kind of wonder about the trainer you had. It doesn't sound like you had a very good one. Sometimes people go to Petco and that isn't a very good idea. Several pet store chains have what they call trainers. Come to find out, they aren't certified trainers. They hire people off the street. They often hire some schmo that has claimed to be a trainer. You have to be careful, some people hang out their shingle and claim to be an experienced trainer, yet have no more experience than you or I do. I would find another trainer. Some dogs take more than one shot at training, and it has been almost a year since he was in class. I would check with my vet or friends and get a recommendation for a good one.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

FYI - you can do a quick search of trainers on this site Association of Pet Dog Trainers - Dog Training Resources or this site Canadian Association of Professional Pet Dog Trainers

Thank u so much, i'll try that and keep u posted

And if you find a place where they hold group classes, ask if you can watch one of their current classes. It helps you get a feel for the location and instructors and how things are run, especially if you aren't familiar with them.