middle of the night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: middle of the night

jls
    jls is offline Senior Member

Defaultmiddle of the night

Hi - Our pup is 6 months old. We did crate train her for a while but we ended up letting her sleep on her dog bed instead. We still have the crate in our room and she occasionally goes in it but we never shut the door. When she was crated we always made sure to take her out when we heard her whine. Usuallly that was around 4:30-5am. Recently she has been getting up in the middle of the night to go out (anytime between 2-4am). We take and her out and she goes to the bathroom. However, I would think that by 6 months she would be able to hold her bladder a little longer. We usually go to bed between 10-11pm. Am I wrong to assume this? Do you have any suggestions - other than re-crating her - to help us all sleep a little longer?

Thanks!

Tilly

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

back to the crate. make sure she goes to pee before bed (witness it so you know she went) and maybe remove water an hour before bed. she should not be regularly having accidents overnight at that age if you have had her since she was 8-10 weeks and have been training.

having said that, make sure to clean the crate so it no longer smells like urine (or whever else she has accidents) with an odour neutralising product like nature's miracle. And make sure there is no health related reason for the accidents.

Now, i will say that sometimes at that age they cannot hold it in for a super long night (like if you like to sleep in until 8am or later). with young pups if I am sleeping in I will sometimes take htem out around 7am (if we went to bed at 11pm) and then go back to bed.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

jls

Oh I hope I was not confusing... She is not having accidents at all. It's just that she has started whining in the middle of the night. She does go to the bathroom when we bring her out but I would still think she could hold it longer. We got her at 8 weeks and her potty training went fantastic. She lets us know when she has to go out but she is also a bit of a whiner and knows she can get her way! I just don't know if we should be better about ignoring her whining. The last thing we want is an accident in th house.

Tilly

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

ahhh
    what happens if you just shush and ignore? would she have an accident? I would try that. obviously this is safer to try if she is in her crate but do make sure she is peeing before bed. some dogs get distracted and don't go.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

jls

Going to try to shush and ignore. Hopefully she won't have an accident. She has definitely found her voice lately and has become quite the little whiner. It's tough to ignore but I think we are going to have to give it a try.

Tilly

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

If it goes on, I would take a urine sample to the vet to test for UTI.

jls

Ok... this may be a dumb question but how do I get a urine sample from a dog????

Tilly

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jls View Post
    Ok... this may be a dumb question but how do I get a urine sample from a dog????
    Hold a sterile cup (usually from the vet) under the stream of urine. It's fun times. LOL

At 6 months it could be that she's just testing you. If I recall correctly Dozer's most vocal period was between 6-9 months old. As in "bark bark, hey look at me, bark bark, I'm doing something really neat! Bark bark, I just wanted your attention!!" Shush and ignore worked wonders. We always picked up his water around 8pm (pee and bed at 10pm at that age for him) and we knew he was fine.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

jls

Thanks! Glad to hear I am not the only one with such a vocal pup!!

Tilly

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jls View Post
    LOL! I have always wondered the same thing. Luckily, we have never had to get a urine sample.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast