How did your Lab(s) get his/her names? Share your story!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did your Lab(s) get his/her names? Share your story!

rmcbuckeye is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow did your Lab(s) get his/her names? Share your story!

So, I hope it's OK to make a thread on dog names - how did you come up with your dog's name? I'll start first.
    In about 4 weeks, we (my boyfriend and I) will be bringing home our 8 week old Fox Red male puppy. We actually had arguments on what to name him, to wait or go ahead to name him. It amused us because we NEVER argue! Ha ha, I guess we both really just couldn't agree on a dog name.

So, I originally wanted to name him after NCIS' Gibbs. I love that show! We even had a list of names we both liked, and we were going to leave it up to 3 choices when we'd meet him. Choices we had: Copper, Rusty, Gibbs, Booth, Buckeye, Woody, Redwood, Red... then one day, we thought about how these names weren't "original" or "different"... and then we realized what if we should name him after a Christmas movie. So we decided on "A Christmas Story", which was based here in Cleveland, OH - We had two names in mind - Ralphie after the main character or Red Ryder after the infamous BB gun toy. So we finally decided about two weeks ago that we really loved Ryder, so that will be his name. His full name will be _________'s Red Ryder or _________'s A Christmas Story.

We will be meeting Ryder this weekend along with his six sisters! Can't wait. Looking forward to it. I may just try to get a picture of me with all the pups.

So let's hear it!
    “The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TheWongster is offline Junior Member

All of my dogs are named after what I love the most. I've adopted most of my dogs from overseas and from areas that are not dog friendly. I brought them home to the United States and provide them with the love that all you in this forum have for their fury family members. The names of my dogs are Liberty, Justice, Patriot, and America. I adopted another puppy overseas that died from the Parvo virus. His name was Freedom.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

My elderly mother just adored my previous lab named 'Rocky'. She would sit for hours on my back deck with him during the summer. She would at times call him 'his Nibs' in a joking fashion. (his nibbs being an old english expression basically saying the person was royalty or self important.) I decided that if I got a 2nd lab or another lab I would call him 'Nibbs'. Rocky passed away and after a year I got a new yellow Lab pup and named him Nibbs. By this time my mother was in a long term care facility and luckily I was able to visit her 4 or 5 times with this new puppy names Nibbs before she finally passed away.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

For our first lab we picked her up (BYB) and were driving home and I asked my husband what we should name her and he said "Cybil" so that was that.

With Dozer, our second lab, we both came up with some names we liked and then we narrowed it down to two. Bruno and Dozer. Then we had a family vote. Bruno, my choice was kicked out of contention by a vote of 4 to 1 ... Dozer it is. We didn't want the whole bulldozer association so we went with Dozer Dreams.

I have never named a dog, BUT when we get our next pup (early 2013) I'm naming him or her. I've got a very short list of names and will be choosing one that suits him or her from the list. Of course I won't pick something my husband and kids hate, but ultimately the decision will be mine. YAY!
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Rukus&Dozer is offline Senior Member

Dozer was the name given to our yellow boy by the shelter. It seemed to fit, so we kept it!

Rukus on the other hand....that was my husband's idea. I liked it so I agreed. Funny story about the spelling of it though:

We agreed on the name long before we found the dog. In preparation for him, I went out to PetSmart and picked up a collar and ID tag for him. As I'm standing at the engraving machine, I realized I didn't know how to spell "Ruckus", so I guessed. Well, obviously I guessed wrong. I wasn't in the mood to go back and pick up a new tag and get it engraved, so the spelling stuck.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Some breeders require their kennel name in the registered name. I think it depends a lot on where you are located. Many breeders here that breed field labs for hunters don't require the kennel name. Those that breed for show do require it. So you need to find out if you need to incorporate it into your name. We got our Sophie from a breeder that has bred labs for many years, but did not require the kennel name in her registered name. When you do decide, you can go to the AKC website, they have a "name checker" to see if it is an available name. Anyway, back to Sophie....When we first got her picture from the breeder, I instantly thought "Sophie". I loved Mama Mia and liked the name. So then we had to come up with her fancy-schmancy name for her papers. Her name is Cheyley's Cafe au lait Sophia. Cheyley is her mom and dad's name combined. Her mom is Cheyanne and her dad is Harley. She is coffee colored, and french coffee is cafe au lait. Actually, it is coffee with a splash of cream and lots of sugar. Sophie has a splash of white on her chest, and she is sugar sweet, so there you go. I like the name Ryder, I too love the Cristmas Story movie! I'll bet you can hardly wait to get your boy home!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

DJsMOM is offline Member

DJ - Named after my daughter & son, Dani & Jay.
    Oct12_009.jpg

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

We are hockey fans, and chose to name Bauer after the hockey equipment brand. His registered name came later, and was more based on characteristics. His call name is part of his registered name, but has nothing to do with his registered name. Bauer as his call name is funny, because we have TONS of jackets, sweatshirts, sweatpants, hats, and t-shirts that say, "Bauer." My sons and husband wear "Bauer" stuff all of the time. People that don't know hockey think that we really, really like our dog. We do really like him, but not enough to have clothes made with his name on them.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

my2labs is offline Senior Member

Abbey was a name I had always loved and since my husband and I knew we were not having children, our first dog was named Abbey. Then I let my husband name our second lab 3 years later and since she was black, he thought Cinder fit her perfectly. Mo is our first male labrador and my husband and I went through website after website on dog names and on a trip to dinner, I was reading names off my smart phones from a website and read "Mo". It was like a lightbulb went on. We thought he couldn't just be named Mo. It needed to be short for something so we picked Mojo as his longer name. Everyone calls him Mo Mo or Big Mo now

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Nibbs' fancy schmancy official name is "Eagertrieves Doppler Radar"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast