Bringing home new puppy a little early..I know the issues with it but what about this
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringing home new puppy a little early..I know the issues with it but what about this

Monchichi is offline Junior Member

QuestionBringing home new puppy a little early..I know the issues with it but what about this

So we will be getting a new puppy. Mom is a black lab and dad is chocolate. They were born 10/01/2012. Here is the issue. The mom had a litter of 10 pups. They are 6 weeks today (Monday). The owner of the mom wants the puppies gone by the end of the week. Yes, I know it's early...I and the owner of the dad are not comfortable with this but because the puppies are living at the moms residence there isn't much we can do about that part. We are in agreement we are trying to figure out a compromise. The owner of the male will be coming home for thanksgiving on this Friday. I suggested to her that she brings my puppy as well a one or two other puppies to keep them all company and so they can still learn the manners of being a dog, like mouthing and overall social skills of being a dog. Then when she needs to return home the weekend after thanksgiving she will take the other two with her ( if they haven't been sold over here). My question is: Do you think this will be good enough to get the skills to the puppy? Would it just be fine bring the puppy home by itself at 6 1/2 weeks? If I do this my way with keeping the three puppies together for the extra week and a half, will that be sufficient for the puppies to learn what they need to? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

personally I would find a breeder that cares about their puppies or a rescue puppy rather than get a puppy from this situation. owner of the "dad" should have been more careful before letting his boy breed with this female.
    do either parents have any clearances? (hips, elbows, eyes, heart, eic, cmn?)

Three puppies for a week and a half is better than nothing. if there is a safe adult they can interact with that is good as well. But I would worry about how healthy the pups are now and how they will be transported.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

nicole is offline Senior Member

I agree, the problem is that either way you do it, you are SUPPORTING someone who shouldn't have bred their dog at all (male or female!). Are you ready to take care of 3 puppies and the mess they make?? You can't just put them somewhere and let them have at it.... They should be being socialized and exposed to new things daily.

I personally suggest finding a responsible breeder if you're looking for a well adjusted puppy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Yup. You're supporting someone who shouldn't be supported.

Those poor puppies, poor momma.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Why support a bad breeder? You can make concessions and figure a way to make it work, but by buying a puppy it only makes them want to do it again. We need to make a stand AGAINST folks that do it the wrong way.

Please don't bash the breeder. Both dogs belongs to a hunting family. The mom dog to the parents and their son and girlfriend ( a friend that I have known for 20 years) added to the pack with a new boy. He accidentally got to the female before he was to go in for his scheduled neuter. He is fixed now and this was a one time thing. They all are pure bread and can have papers but because they are used for hunting and not breeding they didn't want to spend the money to have them registered. The point of my question wasn't about whether or not I'm buying this puppy from a perfect breeder. Puppy's come from everywhere and all different experiences in how they are raised. Would I be better off getting some abused lab from a kennel? How about finding a bunch of mange infested 6 week olds in a gutter that are close to death.... The point of me posting was to find the best solution for the situation the puppies are in now. This is where I'm getting our family dog from, that choice has been made. Is it ideal? No, but I want to do the best I can for the puppy we are getting. Tanya, thank you for at least trying to answer my question. Which is.... Is is better to just take the puppy alone at 6 1/2 weeks or take also a couple siblings for the extra week and a half. If it's pointless and won't matter either way then I don't want to stress out the other puppies more to try to help the situation. My family and I have waited 20 years to be able to get a family pet. I am doing all I can with the resources I have to make this dream come true for our family. Please be nice and help if you can. I want to be able to come back to this board for more questions and to share. I feel like a school child being reprimanded. Puppies come from all sorts of situations and this being a support forum you should all at least try to help the poster instead of going right to telling me not to support the breeder. I hope there are some people in this forum that are just willing to help me instead of agree about who not to get a puppy from. BTW, the puppies were all free. So they were not into this for the money. It was just an accident. So please just help me do the best thing for the new family member we are going to take into our family. Thank you.

LuvBrown and the others that are bashing the breeder...How is this remotely helpful to me? I am coming to this forum to find help for my situation. As you are a senior member I would assume you would have the knowledge I need to help me but instead you need to add to the other comments? What help can you offer? Are you not on this forum because you love the breed and want to help others any way you can, or are you on here just to ruffle feathers?
    Last edited by Monchichi; 11-13-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Adding persons name

nicole is offline Senior Member

We are helping... just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean that's not the case!

You've waited 20yrs to get a pet for your family, why on god's green earth wouldn't you want to do it the right way so you set yourself up for the best temperamented, healthiest puppy you can??

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

My thinking is this. The puppies are already here and they are free. If Monchichi doesn't take one, then that one might end up in the shelter and ultimately put down. You guys know that I don't support this type of "breeding" either, but too late in this case.

Sorry, Mon, I don't have any advice for you on the age thing. I do know that I have seem many people here over the years (unfortunately) get a puppy at 6 weeks and they turn out just fine - with the proper training on your part.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post
    I agree, the problem is that either way you do it, you are SUPPORTING someone who shouldn't have bred their dog at all (male or female!). Are you ready to take care of 3 puppies and the mess they make?? You can't just put them somewhere and let them have at it.... They should be being socialized and exposed to new things daily.

I personally suggest finding a responsible breeder if you're looking for a well adjusted puppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    Yup. You're supporting someone who shouldn't be supported.

Those poor puppies, poor momma.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    Why support a bad breeder? You can make concessions and figure a way to make it work, but by buying a puppy it only makes them want to do it again. We need to make a stand AGAINST folks that do it the wrong way.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post
    We are helping... just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean that's not the case!

You've waited 20yrs to get a pet for your family, why on god's green earth wouldn't you want to do it the right way so you set yourself up for the best temperamented, healthiest puppy you can??

This is helpful? How is this answering my question? What answer other then the first post did I get? Everyone I quoted only said I should not buy from this horrible irresponsible breeder. The puppies will have to go somewhere whether I take the one I want or not. I believe there is no Perfect " right way" to get a puppy. I'm sure you are aware of how many puppies there are in this world. Do they not get a chance too? Your saying I should add this puppy, one that I feel would be just fine, to the rest of those lost " not perfectly raised" puppies so I can go to a responsible breeder? Some of the best dogs come from worse situations then where mine will be coming from. Again I only came on here to get help and ideas on how to help in the situation I'm in with the puppy we are getting. If you can't help me or give me some advise that will ease this transition then don't bother posting your opinion about "helping ignorant breeders and in it for the money breeders".

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast