First time flying

Thread: First time flying

mlestan is offline Junior Member

DefaultFirst time flying

Hi All,

I've had dogs for year, namely Labs. Trammell is my 1.5 year old Choco. This holiday season, we will be traveling to Michigan from Colorado on Delta Airlines. It is a non-stop flight.

I am not so much nervous about Trammell traveling as I am about showing up to the airport ready to check him as luggage ($200 vs. cargo) and not having the appropriate paperwork and supplies for him to be allowed to board the aircraft. From what i gather from numerous sites, here's what I have so far:

1. Airline approved crate with food and water bowls secured to crate door.
    2. $200 baggage fee.
    3. Absorbent bedding on bottom of crate for accidents.
    4. Dog must be able to stand and sit erect without head touching top of kennel.

I spoke with a Delta rep and she said that a health certificate is not required when checking the animal as luggage. She also said that all labeling (Live Animal, This Side Up, etc.) is done by airport/airline officials.

Is there anything I am missing here? Here are some questions that I have:

1. When do you put your animal in the crate? At the airport? At home?
    2. Crate doesn't have a handle. How do you handle parking and then transporting the animal to the entrance? What if you park offsite (i.e. Parking Spot, etc.)?
    3. When is the first time that you can let your animal out to relieve itself after deboarding the aircraft?

If I am missing anything or someone could volunteer some information or an experience, it would be tremendously helpful. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how long will you be in Michigan for?

Your questions are very specific adn I think only the airline can answer them. but you can put the dog in the crate at the airport not at home.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Jenica is offline Senior Member

A lot of the rules can depend on the airline and the airport, and may also slightly depend on the people checking your dog in. So do not be too surprised if things are not quite the same as you were told before (especially for water). We flew Jenica once about seven years ago. We were not allowed to have any water in or attached to her crate. When we checked in her crate was checked for proper size and weight and then she could be out of her crate on leash until she had to be dropped off for boarding. At that point her crate had to go through a security check and once complete she was loaded into her crate.
    During the flight don't be too shocked if you hear barking. There is no sound barrier between the cargo hold and the cabin, so we were able to tell exactly where Jenica was loaded during take-off and landing. She calmed down very quickly, but those few barks were a bit of a surprise.
    After landing Jenica was brought to the oversize luggage counter, but they will give you instructions on pick up when you drop your dog off.
    Definitely check with the cabin crew when boarding the plane that your dog has been loaded. They will know, or can check, and that way you have confirmation that everything went well and you are on the same flight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jenica View Post
    During the flight don't be too shocked if you hear barking. There is no sound barrier between the cargo hold and the cabin, so we were able to tell exactly where Jenica was loaded during take-off and landing. She calmed down very quickly, but those few barks were a bit of a surprise.
    No experience or help to add, but I found this interesting. I have flown A LOT, for a couple of years I was on multiple flights per week. I have never heard a dog bark (unless they were in the cabin). I wonder if I've never been on a flight with a dog or just wasn't in-tune to it. Interesting . . .
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    No experience or help to add, but I found this interesting. I have flown A LOT, for a couple of years I was on multiple flights per week. I have never heard a dog bark (unless they were in the cabin). I wonder if I've never been on a flight with a dog or just wasn't in-tune to it. Interesting . . .
    I don't fly often at all, but I did have one flight were I heard barking during take off. The dog seemed to have settled after we stabilized in the air. I saw the dog while waiting for my luggage
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

justine is offline Senior Member

I hope Laura will chime in - she just shipped a puppy with Delta. I had not heard of shipping as luggage, just cargo.