Needed to Vent
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Needed to Vent

NYJoe is offline Member

DefaultNeeded to Vent

I got my lab puppy on Tuesday 8.5 weeks old. I love him, his name is Dexter or just Dex. I hired a dog walker for 2 30 min sessions during the day. Costs me arm and a leg but worth EVERY penny. Long story short, dog walker came yesterday at 1030 for first visit, Dex was running around with a pen in his mouth! A neighbor who had a key (until yesterday that is) came in, took him out of crate because he was crying and proceeded to tell dogwalker that I was cruel for crating my pup all day. My puppy is NEVER alone for more than 3 hours at a time, ever. She let him out of crate and left him to roam my house. I was shaking I was so pissed! Puppy could have really hurt himself! Not to mention furniture but that is secondary. I even took him to the vet last night just to confirm my own insecurity over crating and whether puppy should have water in crate or not. He reassured me that the crying/yelping barking is normal ( He did apparently cry/yelp for over an hour) and that crating is best. He even commended me for the 2 30 min walk/play sessions saying I am doing all the right things. He sleeps in it well at night though no problem. He is SUCH a good boy! I wake up at 5a so I can spend 2.5 hours with him and of course all evening and weekends.

Thanks for listening to me vent. I could have killed that neighbor! (ok not killed but smacked a few times ha).

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Whoa, your neighbour needs to be educated, that's a horror story. Explain to the person why it is best for pups to be crated. And good on you for hiring a walker.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

is the dog walker "walking" the dog for 30 minutes or just spending 30 minutes with teh puppy?

crating is absolutely fine. ignore the ignorant people, do not let that neighbour dictate how your raise your puppy (or allow them access to the puppy if you are not home!) and fire the dog walker and find a new one (unless you are confident they will now listen to your demands/requirements)

Did you do any crate games or decensitising to the crate?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Wow, I'd be pissed too.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

georgie is offline Senior Member

I would be very upset with the neighbor. Your puppy could have eaten something or got stuck or hurt. I would not let that person alone with my puppy, ever. Talk with your dog walker. Make sure they are taking your puppy out & supervising the pup. It is so easy for a puppy to hurt themselves or eat something that can cause harm. We have had labs for twenty years & they all were crate trained & were in the crate when they could not be surpervised until the could be trusted to have free run of the house.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Can totally understand why you're so pissed off! You are doing well by your puppy!

NYJoe is offline Member

Thanks all. This was not the fault of the dog walker. She was very distressed. The neighbor no longer has access to my apartment. We move next week to a house with a fenced in yard so very much looking forward to that. Dexter had a great day today. He seems to be getting use to the crate and the dog walker just loves him. He is such a smart little boy! I must put up a pic soon. I race home from work to see him every day I can't wait. Even the vet wanted to keep him.

Joe and Dexter

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Just to clarify - the dog walker is not actually taking him for 30 minute walks, is she?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

NYJoe is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Just to clarify - the dog walker is not actually taking him for 30 minute walks, is she?
    To clarify, no. She takes him outside to play, pee and poop, then brings him inside give him water etc. She is not taking him on any marathon walks. They just play in our courtyard. A dog walker does more than just long walks.

Joe

Samson is offline Senior Member

Pictures required !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast