Lots of drooling: how worried should I be?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of drooling: how worried should I be?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultLots of drooling: how worried should I be?

I just got home from being out of town for two days.

Angus is drooling. A lot. Out of one side of his mouth only. Long, thin line of drool, and his mouth is very wet on that side.

He's acting very normal otherwise, eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, trying to get me to give him treats, etc.

The report from Mom and Kevin is that he's been eating a lot of grass. Honking it down. I took him outside, thinking maybe he needed to throw up, but he didn't. He didn't try to eat grass when I had him out either.

I'm thinking that since it's just on one side, maybe something is stuck in his mouth? I looked with a flashlight, twice, and I can't see anything in there.

But this is not right. Too much drool.

But he doesn't seem symptomatic of anything at all, other than this.

I think I might just watch him tonight and see if he's still doing it in the morning, and then take him to the vet? After all, it's been at least two weeks since he's seen a vet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Wendy B. is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts coming your way.Hope it's nothing

georgie is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts it is nothing more than an upset tummy. Dave took Kate to the vet a few weeks again because she had diarrhea & she was drooling alot. He said one or the other he would have waited but to be droolong like a spighot & diarrhea. Vet gave her something for her tummy. They came home she pooped normal & the drooling stopped. Her symptoms stopped as quickly as they started. Our vet said they will drool alot if they eat certain mushrooms. So we never knew for sure what caused it. Hope he is better soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you. That helps a lot. I thought about mushrooms too, but it's not really the season for them - it has finally gotten really cold here. Still, I was looking when I was out there just now.

Mom and Kevin both said Angus didn't want to play fetch at all while I was gone, that all he wanted to do was eat grass, but I took him out just now as a test, to see if he would. I was thinking, maybe if something really is hurting his mouth, that could be an explanation why he wouldn't want to pick up a bumper. But, he was totally up for playing just now and seemed to have a fantastic time.

Maybe it is just that his tummy is upset. He does the grass-eating thing on and off quite a bit. A lot of times I hear his stomach making very weird squishy noises. I wish I knew what I could give him when he gets like that...

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

How is he doing today Connie?

This has happened to Emma a few times too. Not often, but as you describes much, much drool on one side of the mouth only. She licks and licks and drool.... then after an hour or two she is all back to normal. It's frustrating because I have no idea why...
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Bruno drools a lot when food is near, but that's normal for him. If Angus isn't a big drooler, I would worry. Could it be a tooth going bad? Is there any swelling on that side of his face? I hope he feels better.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma the Lab View Post
    How is he doing today Connie?

This has happened to Emma a few times too. Not often, but as you describes much, much drool on one side of the mouth only. She licks and licks and drool.... then after an hour or two she is all back to normal. It's frustrating because I have no idea why...
    Veronica that is exactly what it was like...lots of drool on one side and lick lick lick! Finally after about an hour or so, he stopped drooling buckets and then started licking, like something was stuck between his teeth or something.

We just got up and no wet face this morning. He's eating now, so we'll see how he does after that.

A tooth going bad is a possibility. His face doesn't seem swollen.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Giffin & Carlson, "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" (3rd editn) suggest peridontal disease, foreign body in the mouth, medications, poisons, psychological events (apprehension, anxiety) as possible causes.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Connie, have you had your soil analyzed or anything? with all this stuff going on, it's making me wonder if it's not something outside
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Since it seems to be just on one side it seems likely some foreign body or a bad tooth. I hope it is nothing serious. You guys have enough on your plates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast