Chocolate labs... stupid?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate labs... stupid?!

Erendui is offline Senior Member

DefaultChocolate labs... stupid?!

I have recently bought myself a lovely chocolate lab who will be 14 weeks on Tuesday. I have been training him from the word go (got him at 9 weeks) and he is a VERY fast learner, especially when a bit of roast chicken is on offer!

However, I have read here and there that chocolate labs are 'stupid'. Whilst I can understand the logic behind this (Black labs are favoured by the working dog community so are more likely to be bred to work, thereby having more 'intelligence' genes than those bred for show), I really don't think this is true of my Bilbo. Of course I'm looking through rose tinted glasses at my little cute baby, but SURELY learning 'sit' after 3 goes with the clicker and food at 9 weeks can't be 'stupid'?! I was extremely insulted when I took him to the vets for his second round of jabs and an old lady came up to me saying "Aww, isn't he darling?! I have a black lab in the car right now. The brown ones are a bit stupid though, aren't they?" As if I'd go "Yeah, my little Bilbo is thick as ! What a dope he is...". Instead I laughed politely whilst a little volcano exploded in my brain

Has anyone *actually* noticed this, if you have multiple labs of different colours, are the chocolate ones actually thicker? Of course there will be variation between individuals, but I refuse to think of my little Bilbo as stupid

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Intelligence has no color correlation.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

smokey is offline Senior Member

If that's the case what's to be said for my little black boy who has a chocolate father? A titled chocolate father I might add, he must not be too stupid! Ridiculous!
    Smokey 4/25/2012

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

On top of this, I have heard people say positive things like "Chocolate labs are more friendly!", which I'm guessing has as much weight behind it as people saying they are stupid! I think all labs are intelligent and extremely loveable dogs. Glad to see people agree it is a myth. I'm a first time dog owner so I didn't really know if this was fact or fiction!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

a single litter can have all three colours. And just like human hair colour, the colour of a dog's fur is not linked to intelligence.
    You will read a LOT of false information online. Especially about dogs.

Where chocolates probably got a bad reputation is the are a recessive color, thus it occurs less frequently. When the colour became popular, many people were breeding dogs ONLY for colour. Paying to attention to temperament, intelligence or health. This led to many "badly bred" puppies that had temperament, health and behavioural issues. So the "crazy stupid chocolate lab with allergies and health issues" became more common.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Ya, no. My Kaity is a goofball, but is very intelligent. She's even a bit smarter than Dio...
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

One last question... is it normal to feel deeply insulted yourself when someone says something remotely negative about your dog (especially if it is unwarranted?). I'm usually an extremely laid back, placid person and insults to myself just tend to bounce off! But when that lady said "Chocolate labs are stupid", I was fuming! (Quietly of course, being British haha). When I got in the car, I had a little rant to my boyfriend who thought I took it too seriously haha.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Absolutely, I would be terribly insulted. Instead of letting this get to you, as it is utter nonsense, educate the person who says this type of thing to you. Even if they don't "hear" you it will make you feel better!
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 11-04-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Stupidity & intelligence is the same in dogs as it is in people. It comes in all shapes, sizes & colors.

Personally, I know wayyyyyyy more stupid people than I do stupid dogs.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I don't think so.
    I have a chocolate and admittedly she has been harder to train than my black boy, but she was also older when I got her.I think my Ma Brown is too smart. She knows the commands, but thinks "why should I sit....we will be moving in a second...what a waste of time"lol.

People didn't like Erns when I got him and wouldn't touch Tess the first few months after I got her. I let stuff wash over me.I know my dogs are great, they love me, so what more can we want.

ETA. A few months after I got Ernie the vet told me he has to be the dumbest Lab he had ever seen. He took that back within a year. lol.
    Last edited by kassabella; 11-05-2012 at 02:59 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast