Dog Trainers in Georgia

Thread: Dog Trainers in Georgia

khk410 is offline Junior Member

DefaultDog Trainers in Georgia

Hi everyone,

I have a 1.5 year old female lab that I am interested in getting obedient training. To give you a little background on her, I've trained her in basic commands such as sit, down, stay, leave it, take it, and come. She doesn't walk well with a leash and tends to pull and jump on strangers and other dogs. Basically, I would like her to be extremely disciplined whether with me or around strangers.

I'm looking for a breeder or trainer that boards the dog during the training program. I'm living in Atlanta but would drive a few hours. Are there any trainers on here or any one you would recommend in the surrounding Atlanta area? Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Do you have a particular venue you are aiming to compete with, such as AKC? Here are a list of AKC clubs in GA - Training Resources.

Here's one in Atlanta: Atlanta Obedience Club dog training dog obedience Atlanta Georgia GA Canine CGC
    And if you scroll down, the Atlanta Kennel Club lists places for training: Atlanta Kennel Club Website > Resources > Services Offered by Members

I would recommend that you go and watch a class at any training facility prior to signing up - that way you kind of have an idea of how they train, etc. The first class I took Abbey to was terrible and I didn't know any better - there was no positive reinforcement and the trainer tried to get everyone to use prong collars instead of teaching us how to train our dogs.

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Any reason why YOU can not participate in obedience training your dog? It is a great bonding event, it will enable you to know how to do proper corrections and handling, read your dogs cues and behaviors and everyone handles a leash/dog in a slightly different way. Good dogs don't just happen, they are trained. And training continues for the lifetime of the dog. Let them get away with tugging at the leash, they will try again. Let them pop off a sit without a release, they will try again. Not that they always have to be "under control", my dogs know the difference, they are given a release word and are free to sniff, meander, etc. But when they are to be under control and behaving, they are. Please consider training with your dog. I truly think you would enjoy the experience. But I would also recommend that you find a trainer that personally HAVE obedience titled dogs. Great trainers often have titled numerous obedience dogs. If a trainer has no obedience titled dogs, ask why.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Oops - I totally missed the point that the OP wants someone else to train their dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by khk410 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a 1.5 year old female lab that I am interested in getting obedient training. To give you a little background on her, I've trained her in basic commands such as sit, down, stay, leave it, take it, and come. She doesn't walk well with a leash and tends to pull and jump on strangers and other dogs. Basically, I would like her to be extremely disciplined whether with me or around strangers.

I'm looking for a breeder or trainer that boards the dog during the training program. I'm living in Atlanta but would drive a few hours. Are there any trainers on here or any one you would recommend in the surrounding Atlanta area? Thanks for your help!

Have you found a trainer yet?
    ~Paul