need some advices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some advices

raymond's mama is offline Junior Member

Defaultneed some advices

i am having 8 weeks old puppy just for about 3 days now. The first day he arrived at home i still just don't have crate yet, so he slept on the floor (tile floor) not far from our bathroom. I think he liked to sleep there because it's the cool place for him. Even i take him to our living room, he goes back there again to sleep. I am from Indonesia where there temperature is hot. I always take him to do "toilet" in the backyard (i praise him like mad when he done), but sometimes accidents happens. So last night i bought him a crate to do crate training. But it seems that he doesn't like it. I put dog bed inside the crate but he pee on it, even i take him every half or an hour to do "toilet" outside. And sometimes when i take him outside, he doesn't pee, but when i put him back in crate, he pee on it straight . Is it normal? How long is it usually takes time until he can understand it. My puppy also doesn't want to take the ball and give it back to me when we play. But he can understand when I say "sit" and give him rewards. I really need some advice because this is the first time i have puppy. I love him so much since the beginning and I really want him to be my best friend and loving companion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

How big is the crate? It should be just large enough for your pup to stand up and turn around. If it is too large , your pup may well indeed pee in there.

Do not worry about brining a ball back to you, that will come with age.

Congratulations on your new pup! Can you post pictures? We LOVE pictures!!!!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

You will get a lot of advice on here. Congrats on the puppy!
    There are a lot of threads about crate training. Your puppy is still very very young, it will take time. Crate training doesn't happen over night. What size crate did you get? It should be just big enough for the pup to lay down, stand up, and turn around. If it is to big the pup my potty in a corner away from where it lays down. Just keep working on it and read up on crate training. There are videos and threads.
    Playing with a ball takes time. Hera is 5 months old and just figured out how to play with a ball lol. Play monkey in the middle and try a squeaky ball, kong makes good ones. The squeaky ball is how I got Hera to play. Pups love things that squeak! Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

First off, welcome to the forum! Selamat datang! Keep doing the praising when your pup goes toilet outside. I would take out the bed from the crate, put a towel or nothing in there until he is potty trained outside and to keep cleaning easier. When he pees inside or on inappropriate objects, make sure that you use odour destroying product to get rid of the smell.

As for retrieving the ball, he may be too young to grasp the concept. Keep trying, but keep in mind that he is a tiny baby still and learning all the time.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Thanks a lot for your advice. I think it is too large, can fit 2 puppies inside. But i already bought it because i thought that i don't have to buy crates every time he gets bigger and bigger. do you have any idea how to use the crate i already bought for him but make him not use the other space of the crate for pee or poo? i see the pic of your dog, so gorgeous and she lies on your bed how old so we can trust our lab to lie down in our bed without chewing the pillow or pee on it?raymond.jpg

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

First of all welcome and congratulations on your puppy! Can you put a divider in the crate to make it smaller for right now? That usually works. Potty training just takes time and patience but puppies usually get it fairly quickly. My Maxx loves to sleep on the tile floors of the bathroom, kitchen and dining room. When it is warm he sleeps with his head directly on top of the a/c vent. All puppies are different, trusting them at night comes at different ages for all of them. Maxx is a "hot" dog and will not sleep on my bed, he will jump up for a short while but soon gets down to sleep in his crate with the fan blowing on him. His crate door is no longer closed but he likes the fan and it has been on for him every night since we brought him home last September. In my house the dogs kind of rule, lol!! Good luck to you!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

the crate is fit 2 puppies inside, this is the first time i have puppies so i didn't know that the crate just must be big enough for pup to lay down, stand up and turn around. But i already buy the crate, I hope I can get any idea how to still use the crate for my Raymond. Because he still doesn't know how to play with a ball, we just play catch me if you can but when he catch me he bite my leg
    About squeaky ball, i will buy for him

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

Try buying a small hamper, flip it upside down and put it in the back of the crate. My mom did that and it worked for her pup. But buy one that has no holes or very tiny ones that only your finger fits in, don't want anything to happen.

Right now I put the bed out and just put some of his toys inside, but he still doesn't like being in crate when it's time to sleep or if I want to go out of the house. He cries whenever I put him in there, especially at night.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Make sure the toys and bedding are not the type that can be destroyed or eaten by your puppy. You definitely don't want to deal with surgery for an obstruction. Your puppy will stop crying while in the crate, just ignore the crying and only take him out after he has been quiet. I kept the crate next to my bed and had very little crying.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast