Grain-free "Milkbone"-sized Treats?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Grain-free "Milkbone"-sized Treats?

  1. #1
    justine's Avatar
    justine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,446

    DefaultGrain-free "Milkbone"-sized Treats?

    I know there are a lot of other grain-free dog treats out there, but I am looking for bigger ones that take Kolby more than 0.0032 seconds to chew. I've found a few different types of dog treats that are the size of Milkbones, but none of them seem to be grain-free. He also can't have chicken, which narrows it a bit more. Any recommendations?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SE, PA
    Posts
    5,794

    Default

    What about bully sticks for an occassional treat? They actually last Maxx a little while. Otherwise mine get baby carrots, green beans and apple slices mostly. I avoid the "milk bone" type treats to stay away from the extra calories. They are gone so quickly I am not sure they even realize they got anything. The few Maxx has had I swear he did not even chew...
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

    Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

  4. #3
    justine's Avatar
    justine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    What about bully sticks for an occassional treat? They actually last Maxx a little while. Otherwise mine get baby carrots, green beans and apple slices mostly. I avoid the "milk bone" type treats to stay away from the extra calories. They are gone so quickly I am not sure they even realize they got anything. The few Maxx has had I swear he did not even chew...
    Kolby doesn't tolerate bully sticks very well, plus the ones I've tried that were really stinky. I'm not too worried about the calories - I only give them one of the big bones per day and then they get smaller treats such as tiny piece of string cheese or soft treats when we are working on obedience.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    javasmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,663

    Default

    The nature's Variety grain free dog treats are pretty good sized.
    Zuke's also makes very large grain free Z-Bones.
    The Z-Bones are the largest ones I have ever found.
    Last edited by javasmom; 11-01-2012 at 02:37 PM.

  7. #5
    amazongold's Avatar
    amazongold is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    23,457

    Default

    I will check the brands I have at home, but they are all small. I found that dehydrating sweet potatoes gives them a nice, big, chewy treat that lasts at lease .005 seconds!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

  8. #6
    justine's Avatar
    justine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    The nature's Variety grain free dog treats are pretty good sized.
    Zuke's also makes very large grain free Z-Bones.
    The Z-Bones are the largest ones I have ever found.
    Hmm.. I think I've seen those but I assumed they were more like Greenies, which I won't feed. Do you give them to your girls? Are they crunchy like treats or more like Greenies?

  9. #7
    Luvmydog2much's Avatar
    Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windsor Ontario
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    I've been giving mine fruitables. They come in different sizes. They're Gluten free, but they smell delicious

    Fruitables Pet Food - Official Site
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held


    Rhys, Ruby and Nola

  10. #8
    joflake is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,489

    Default

    I bought a bag of dried sweet potatos from Drs smith & foster, or whatever the magazine is. They love them, and they're very chewy. They have to work to soften them up.

    Natural, healthy dog treats: Drs. Foster & Smith Healthy Snax Sweet Potatoes

    They're on sale right now.

  11. #9
    BoatDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,693

    Default

    We use veggies - carrots and asparagus spears (stems only) are great grain free chewie things!

  12. #10
    amazongold's Avatar
    amazongold is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    23,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    I bought a bag of dried sweet potatos from Drs smith & foster, or whatever the magazine is. They love them, and they're very chewy. They have to work to soften them up.

    Natural, healthy dog treats: Drs. Foster & Smith Healthy Snax Sweet Potatoes

    They're on sale right now.
    I used to buy those, and the boys loved them, but they are made in China. I quit buying them when I realized that.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Diet "treats"? (Cody again...sorry)
    By cheesiepeake in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 11:10 AM
  2. I see lots of "crate free" threads.......
    By kaznalf in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 08:27 PM
  3. Other "no grain" food Suggestions
    By Tanya in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 10:36 AM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 12:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25