Breed Compatibility... Vermont vs neighbor´s Collies

Thread: Breed Compatibility... Vermont vs neighbor´s Collies

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultBreed Compatibility... Vermont vs neighbor´s Collies

I know dogs are not aware of "their" breed or their self image, but its funny to see how same breed dogs tend to get along (or feel attracted to) their own kind...

Vermont is very friendly but is not the kind of dog that will "run" to greet other dogs. He just sniffs them a bit and then ignores, he usually doesn´t engage other dogs (except Misha and Homer) to play with him, but he´s fine around them.

A neighbor has another male Collie (and a female he adopted). This Collie is very similar to him, gentle, not pushy, just sniffs in a calm way. Both dogs like each other a lot (btw both unneutered males). Misha and Homer couldn´t care less about him, just sniff him and think he´s boring... on the other side of the coin: Misha and Homer have other Lab friends, the typical greeting frenzy with intense sniffing, engaging into play immediately, lots of tail wags... you know Labs, they are intense. Vermont moves away from them immediately. Its just funny.

I guess their different energy levels make them attractive to each other. What do you think? HAve you experienced the same?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Totally.

Nola is very friendly, for a Curly. She's quite the extrovert. She plays well with the Labs and friend's Labs...BUT, she loves to play with Curlies...its much more physical style of play and she recognizes it right away.

The Labs are friendly with everyone, but love other labs. The Curly is too friendly with everyone and prefers other Curlies.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

javasmom is offline Senior Member

My girls will run to greet other Labs and start typical lab play immediately-butt tucking, zooming around, jumping on each other's heads, etc.
    But they look at other dogs like they're aliens-especially the 2 Airedale brothers and the Poms at the park.
    They are much more cautious with "strange" breeds.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Its really strange isn´t it? Years ago when I had my Great Dane, she fell in love with a Weimaraner (huge weim) that looked somewhat similar to her.

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

When we first adopted Sundance, a friend brought over his two Labs. I wanted to bring Sunnybear to the front yard on leash so they could meet on somewhat neutral territory. The friend beat me to the punch and let his dogs into our backyard. I was a little nervous, but Sundance didn't even do the obligatory butt sniff. He immediately started tearing around the yard with the dogs like they were long-lost best friends.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06