Dog set up

Thread: Dog set up

RED ONE is offline Junior Member

DefaultDog set up

Hi again everyone! In the planning stages at the moment for the middle of December when we are hopeful of getting our pup.
    I was just looking for advice on the set up for our lab pup. In another thread I said we will be moving to a larger location at the end of January. Our current place is a fair bit smaller so my plan at the moment is this...

Her space will be the garage which will have a screen door on it during the day so there is some air flow.
    I will be building or building or buying a dog house
    Or there is the possibility of a crate. Does anyone have a preference? I am leaning towards a house because it will be placed outside for the new house and she will be familiar with her house and bed.
    The garage can be opened to the small backyard where she can run around as well. We may leave this open throughout the day.
    Thanks for the help again guys

Keep in mind it's summer here in Australia in a month, poor thing

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

crate inside the house is where the dog is safest. Garages generally have lots of toxic and dangerous things for a dog. This goes for in the new house as well, the safest place for a dog is crated indoors (then when they earn their freedom, outside the crate in the house. A dog can get into tons of trouble outside. eating the house, eating dangerous things, barking all day, digging, getting out of the yard, etc.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks for the reply Tanya. Obviously if we were both at work you would obviously let the dog run around the backyard right?
    In our new house we would have a kennel outside in a secure backyard, thoughts?
    Do people use the crates as a permanent bed for full grown dogs? They seem like temporary beds for puppies and transport.
    Sorry if I sound naive.

By the way with no cars in it our garage is an empty space with nothing at all in it. I should of cleared that up first
    Last edited by RED ONE; 11-01-2012 at 08:01 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'd never leave my dog outside during the day when I'm not home. Someone could steal him, he could dig out and escape, so many things could happen.

My guy is in an ex-pen at home, inside, when I'm at work. He never has accidents in the house anymore, but he's still very young and destructive! Plus, he wouldn't give my JRT a moments peace, and I fear without me watching them he would hurt Poopy. Not deliberately, but he's so much bigger and stronger that poor Poops.
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I would opt to have a dog walker or friend come take the puppy out to potty and keep them indoors, personally.

Now, I also realiaze north america uses crates much much more than other areas. The crate is used to help house train hte dog (keep them in teh crate when you cannot supervise ane are out of the house) and to keep them safe. The end goal is to leave the dog loose in a room (safe room) or the entire house once they "earn their freedom". Each dog is different, some are great at 8-9 months others not until they are 4+ years! My dog is now loose in the house, though I have to do some minor dog proofing (mostly human food ane dog treats).

For puppies, yes you need someone to let them out as they cannot hold it in all day. Alternatively, there is a way to build a "long term containment area" where they have space to potty, space to sleep and space to play (generally something along the lines of an X-Pen and a crate with something they can pee on, ideally something mimiking the stuff they would pee on outside, so yes this could be grass!).

If you go the kennel route, make sure to read on how to make a safe kennel a dog cannot dig out of or climb out of. make sure it has shelter, water, relief from weather of all kinds. Be ready for a back-up plan when it gets too hot (or too cold, though not sure too cold is an issue there?) some days may nto be appropriate to leavea dog outside.

I also recommend a fenced yard (on top of the kennel) so animals, people, etc. cannot go up to your dog in the kennel. I adopted a dog with some aggression issues when in his crate because he was teased by kids when in his outside kennel (when adults were nto home).

You may also have issues with barking. some dogs will bark in a kennel as they hear/see things.

I would NOT leave a young puppy free roam/access to the yard (i.e. free access from garage to outside). they can easily get into some big trouble. labs are notorious for eatings things they should not (adn even if you don't mind the damage, they could hurt themlselves or get blockage or ingest something poisoneous). So if you dog proof the garage and the temperature is safe for the dog, then close them in there.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks Tanya. Puppy proofing is going on now! It's a while before we get her but I would like to plan ahead. Appreciate the help.
    My parents live on a 5 acre property and there lab enjoys roaming around the place so the whole crate thing is a new concept to me. Your probably right where it is a much more popular thing i the US rather than Australia.