Hera just peed right in front of me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hera just peed right in front of me?

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

DefaultHera just peed right in front of me?

Hi. So tonight everything was going good, we have not had a potty problem with Hera in about a month (just a reminder she is our 5 month old black lab/greyhound pup). I was about to put an oil treatment in my hair (she was next to me) and she peed! Right on one of the bath rugs! I was lliterally a foot away and she just peed (i took her out about 2 hours before). Why would she do that? I got mad and told her no, bad girl in an angry voice and dragged her outside and she knew she was in trouble (she curls up on to the ground when she is being bad). I just don't understand why after a month she would do this and do it right in front of me! Any advice or anything I'm so confused

Also, didn't know if I should post in training or lab chat, thought I'd get more help here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Perhaps something startled her or she may be starting with a UTI. I would keep an eye on her and check with your vet if it happens again. As for dragging her outside and reprimanding her in an angry voice I would suggest a more gentle approach to unwanted behavior. I have a dog that is sensitive like your Hera, suffers from SA, hates d loud noises, etc and she does not respond well to this type of correction. I absolutely prefer positive reinforcement training and have found it works much better than anger. Just a thought for you to consider.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Tammy is right.

Losing your temper with a dog will only set them back !

We all make mistakes - why not dogs too ?

Lots more praise when she does go outside will be more positive than shouting at her !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

accident's happen. make sure there is no health issue, and if not, just step back in houes training. these things happen, getting made at the dog and dragging them outside will only damage your relationship and potential teach them never to pee when you are there (even outside). YES make a loud sound to stop the flow but them you don't need to "drag" them outside just go out, stay as calm as possible. reward if they go outside.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Flint just did this the other day. I just finished grinding his nails, and got up to get his good boy treat and he was peeing on the recliner chair! Like Tanya suggested I made a loud sound (with a few cuss words inserted), hurried him out side, and let him pee again (it was dark out, so I don't know how much he did pee though). He knew he did wrong, and slunk around the house for awhile as I ignored him while cleaning up the chair. But all was good soon as he did his "woe is me" pose on the couch and put his paw on my back.....melts my heart every time!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Cinder has peed in front of us when she has a UTI. You should really pay attention to how often she's going and the actual amount of pee. If she's going often but only small amounts or if the urine has a bad odor she should see the vet. You can bring in a urine sample by sliding a small container under her as she goes.

She gave no signal. Every time she has to potty she crys and runs to the door, not this time! She is already on antibiotics (our kitten got her eye while they were playing and it gave her an infection, gone now but two days left on the pills).
    Puppys are supposed to be able to hold it an hour for every month, which would be five hours, is that not always right? She goes all night, from 10 pm to 8 am, without going out and when we let her out she is like why? Lol I'm just so confused.
    Yea I didn't expect to get that upset it was a very long frustrating night between trying to make and eat dinner with the phone ringing and the door bell (trick or treaters all night) I mean I would sit down to eat and it would ring again lol. Plus when she did it I was a foot into the shower lol.

Also, when I say drag I don't mean actually dragging her, I just got her down the stairs and out the door as quick as I could.
    Last edited by Newpuppyownersami; 11-01-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Sometimes shit (or in this case pee) just happens. As has been suggested, watch carefully to see if it happens again, in which case a trip to the vet may be in order. Otherwise, chalk it up to her being a baby, and babies make mistakes.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Yea I will keep watching her.
    I guess you right, I was thinking she was either testing me or upset about something which would make no sense cause she had so much fun seeing all the kids.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Even though she enjoyed all the kids trick or treating it may have upset her if she is not used to constant comings and goings. The antibiotic for the eye may not be the same thing used to treat a UTI , I would just keep a close eye on her. As Karen said, sometimes it just happens! I did not mean to suggest you were mistreating your puppy, I apologize if it came off that way.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast