Puppy and moving
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy and moving

RED ONE is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy and moving

Hi guys,

First off a bit of an intro. My girlfriend and have been discussing getting a puppy for a while now. We have finally taken the plunge! My parents have had 2 Labradors and hers has had one. So it was a no brainier what kind of dog we wanted. We will be going with something a bit different as we have always had gold males in our family we are going with a little chocolate girl.

We will be getting our new Labrador half way through December and thankfully my girlfriend will be on holidays then so she can spend a lot of time with her.
    One big problem though is we are moving to a new house hopefully at the end of January. The block will be significantly larger which will be great for our little pup.

Has anyone moved a puppy so quickly? It seems like she will of just settled and then she needs to start again when we move. Any advice?

One more quick question: My parents have a 4 year old male lab and I would like to introduce them and hopefully start a little friendship. I'm not interested in mating them so I will desex our pup asap anyway. Any advice on that?

Thanks everyone! Good to be on the board.
    Last edited by RED ONE; 10-31-2012 at 06:54 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Welcome and congrats on your upcoming addition! I don't think it will be hard on the pup to move.. just make sure to stay firm with your potty training routine once you develop one. Keep it consistent for the pup's sake.

As far as spaying/neutering your pup - talk with your breeder. Many breeders require that you sign a spay/neuter agreement which sometimes will state a certain time frame to get your dog fixed. There are MANY threads where people discuss the pros/cons of neutering early or later.

Here's one: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...-9-months.html

Another one: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...agree-vet.html

Thanks Justine. Yeah we have a friend who is a vet nurse so that should be fine. With meeting my parents dog, should we do it straight away or wait a bit?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

As long as your parents' dog is up to date on vaccines and is healthy, I don't think it would be an issue to do a meet-n-greet. Maybe wait a couple of days so your pup can get a little settled in, but you wouldn't have to necessarily.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RED ONE View Post
    Thanks Justine. Yeah we have a friend who is a vet nurse so that should be fine. With meeting my parents dog, should we do it straight away or wait a bit?
    By this do you mean that you believe that your vet nurse friend is fully informed on this issue? Because many vets will advocate for spay/neuter at 6 months or younger and that is really not what is best for the proper physical development of the dog. A far, far more important issue than "how will my puppy adjust to a move so soon".

Which, by the way, will not be a big deal or even barely noticable by your puppy. Dogs attach to people - not so much to their surroundings.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Your puppy will take things in stride if you and your girlfriend do as well. Dogs, Labs especially, seem to read off of our emotions...frazzled? Your dog will be too!

As for spaying, talk with your breeder, but the healthiest thing for your girl is to have a season. Ask your breeder when her mother came into season and plan on your girl being about the same time. Unless your girl is in season (and you'll know she is) it's perfectly OK for her to play with your family's dogs.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    By this do you mean that you believe that your vet nurse friend is fully informed on this issue? Because many vets will advocate for spay/neuter at 6 months or younger and that is really not what is best for the proper physical development of the dog.
    I'm glad my friend is not one of those vets then. Not something we are even thinking of doing at this stage in her life.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RED ONE View Post
    I'm glad my friend is not one of those vets then. Not something we are even thinking of doing at this stage in her life.
    Good - just want you to be informed.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I read my post and I worded it slightly wrong. I was more interested in the 2 dogs getting along. Just a place where she can go and have a bit of contact with another dog and have a little friend. Not so much interested in the desexing of her at this stage of her life. The reason I bought it up was because he is male.

Thanks for everyone who did help though. We are very excited and can't wait to see her for the first time in 2 weeks. Obviously to pick her out and confirm that this is where we want to get our dog.
    Last edited by RED ONE; 10-31-2012 at 04:11 PM.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

As far as the two dogs meeting, you should be fine but introduce them in a neutral place, do not take your puppy immediately to your parents house to meet the male Lab. Its better to let them meet in your home, or in a nearby park.

As far as moving, Labs are very adaptable and usually love "new" adventures and are not shy about strange places. You shouldn´t have any problem.

Once you move all your furniture and belongings, he will recognize all the smells and associate them with her home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast