Just Labradors banner

Need help training my dog out of bad habits!! :(

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  LozzaBee10 
#1 ·
Hiya :)
My lab is 2 in march and we literally can not get him to stop pulling. He had an extendable lead when we first got him and we think that might be why he pulls now he has a shorter lead.
We have tried him with a halti around his nose and that worked fine but he started getting scared of the lead because he didnt like it, so we didnt want him being scared of coming back when we let him off.
We bought a harness and that worked lovely at first but i think this has made him stronger lol.
We went back to putting the lead onto his collar but he really doesnt care about how much he chokes himself.
Also i literally cannot control him when he sees another dog, he goes mental! I really dont know how to go about stopping him doing it but now winter is coming im dreading taking him out as i know i will end up sliding on my arse all the way round the park lol.
Has anybody had a similar problem or know how i can sort this out as its driving me mad and walking him is getting horrendoes :(
Thanks guys x

#2 ·
This person uses a clicker for training, but you can reward with just a treat. I also don't recommend putting the treat on the ground like she does in the video. That could teach the dog to pick things up off the sidewalk and you don't want him doing that.
How to train your dog not to pull- Loose Leash Walking - YouTube

#11 ·
I would also recommend a good obedience class with a positive trainer. Then YOU have to follow through with practicing what the instructor tells you to a few times each day.

#15 ·
I am so glad you kept your sense of humor and realize an obedience class is a great idea for you and YOUR dog. Best of luck to you, I have no doubt you will come back to tell us about your success! I would just add, take your time and find a trainer that you and your dog fit with. It can make all the difference in the world!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.