Help needed from fosters please.

Thread: Help needed from fosters please.

luvmykiddos is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp needed from fosters please.

Long Story, sorry.

I found a puppy in our neighborhood on Saturday. He was just sitting next to a neighbor's car. He looks pit bull/pit bull mix. He had some injuries to his face. They think he's around a year old.

His collar had no tag, he had no chip. I took him to the local ASPCA. (I was told that would be the first place his owner would be looking for him).
    At the ASPCA, I was told that if no one claimed him by Friday, that he would be put down. That's pits are not NOT even tried for adoption.
    This really broke my heart, the scared and confused look he had when they took him back.

I asked them to call me before they had to euthanize him.

For those of you that foster........
    If I were to adopt him?

1. Not knowing his history, how do I keep my dogs safe from any health issues he may have?
    2. How do I make sure my dogs are not exposed to a fearful dog that may hurt them while trying to protect himself?

Also any other advice you can give about adopting/fostering a dog would be appreciated. I really don't want this boy put down, but my priority has to be my two first.

Thank you.

Kim, Charlie-chocolate, born 1-12-10 & Samantha-yellow, born 2-12-10

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Obviously have him checked thoroughly by a vet prior to bringing him home. I'm assuming your dogs are up to date on vaccinations, so they should be okay.

If you think he's fearful and might hurt others, you'll need to have him separated until he can be evaluated and worked with.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I asked them to call me before they had to euthanize him.
    I hope they actually do this. I have heard too many horror stories.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

If you are truly interested in fostering this boy, you need to go to the shelter and tell them you will adopt him. As MidwestGirl stated, there are many times that a notation that you would like to be contacted simply does not get done. However, if you go there and adopt, that takes the mystery out of it. Plus, depending on the shelter, they might do an assessment of his temperament, would allow you to bring your dogs to meet him and you will have a better idea of how he would do in your environment.

I have fostered many dogs over the years, brought home dogs that appeared healthy then broke with KC and brought home obviously sick dogs. My dogs have never gotten ill. I keep them separate initially but honestly, unless you follow strict isolation procedures, cross contamination can happen. But with most healthy, non stressed dogs, it is just a doggy cold.

Fostering is one of the most satisfying things I have ever done. Not for everyone but can be a wonderful experience. Good luck whatever you choose.

Thank you Justine, Midwestgirl, & dogmom.

Thanks for the reassurances about the health. Yes, my two are current and they get the kennel cough shots every 6 months as we have to board them from time to time.

I was told there was a 4 day waiting period to give his "owners" a chance to find him. Is that not true?

Also, I was told by a local rescues that called me back that I can place a free ad, which I'll do today following their instructions about not being too specific. Is there anything else I can do besides this to help this little guy?

Also, how did you handle the initial meeting between your current furkids and the new pup?

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

I have always just brought the foster into my backyard and brought my dogs out one by one for a meet and greet. I have never had issues this way, I know some prefer to have the dogs meet on neutral territory but it is easier for me just to bring the foster home and meet the crew.

I also would have the dog checked over by a vet before bringing him home and you can get him dewormed and vaccinate him at that time. If the dog is fearful, more likely he will give warning signs before lashing out and if your dogs are well socialize they will head the signs and give him space. I would not let them run together until you are comfortable with the new dog.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canula2000 View Post
    I have always just brought the foster into my backyard and brought my dogs out one by one for a meet and greet. I have never had issues this way, I know some prefer to have the dogs meet on neutral territory but it is easier for me just to bring the foster home and meet the crew.

I also would have the dog checked over by a vet before bringing him home and you can get him dewormed and vaccinate him at that time. If the dog is fearful, more likely he will give warning signs before lashing out and if your dogs are well socialize they will head the signs and give him space. I would not let them run together until you are comfortable with the new dog.
    this is what a trainer friend fo mine did as well for another friend that brought in her first foster.

You may want to ask about dog-testing him at the shelter first. it isn't full proof but might give you an idea of what to expect.

Get him to the vet first (maybe call and make a vet appointment for Friday, explain and ask about cancelation fee should you not take him). Show up at the shelter the day his time is up to pick him up (don't rely on them calling).

If your dogs are healthy chances are he won't have anything that can seriously harm them. Kennel cough, parasites, worms, fleas would be the most common (and you can check out the flea situation at the vet) but shouldn't seriously harm your dog.

remove all toys and food bowls from the ground for day 1 to be safe. feed in separate rooms and often it is best to hand feed a new dog. if all goes well you can SLOWLY bring in toys. I wait a good while before doing bones and stuff with a foster.

I would crate the foster.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    this is what a trainer friend fo mine did as well for another friend that brought in her first foster.

You may want to ask about dog-testing him at the shelter first. it isn't full proof but might give you an idea of what to expect.

Get him to the vet first (maybe call and make a vet appointment for Friday, explain and ask about cancelation fee should you not take him). Show up at the shelter the day his time is up to pick him up (don't rely on them calling).

If your dogs are healthy chances are he won't have anything that can seriously harm them. Kennel cough, parasites, worms, fleas would be the most common (and you can check out the flea situation at the vet) but shouldn't seriously harm your dog.

remove all toys and food bowls from the ground for day 1 to be safe. feed in separate rooms and often it is best to hand feed a new dog. if all goes well you can SLOWLY bring in toys. I wait a good while before doing bones and stuff with a foster.

I would crate the foster.
    Thanks Tanya for all the great advice.
    1. I called the SPCA yesterday. He is still there. I will be calling everyday to make sure he is still there.
    2. I called my vet and made an appt for Friday. no cancellation fee, as it's my regulare vet.
    3. I got in touch with some people I know through dock diving that is involved in rescues and have gotten the word out. I really can't keep him long term as my two have social issues of their own which we are working on, but a third would be too much on my plate permanently. I reached out to rescues on Saturday when I found him, and I was told by the four locally that they are full. But we would foster him until we could find a good home/rescue for him.
    4. I placed in ad with our local paper....there is something distinctive about this dog, which I purposely left out, so I would know it's really the owner calling to find his/her dog.

Is there anything I forgot?
    Anything more I can do for this little guy?

I know it sounds CRAZY, but the look he gave me the four hours he was with me was......"I trust you. Please help me".

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I know it sounds CRAZY, but the look he gave me the four hours he was with me was......"I trust you. Please help me".
    I've been there before and you're not crazy. Trust yourself. Good luck.