A question for those who adopt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for those who adopt

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

DefaultA question for those who adopt

A friend has taken in a small dog (looks like a black dust mop) that's about 3 years old. It's name is Peanut. My friend wants to change the name. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the dog to respond to the new name (Lola)? It's a sad situation. The original owner had the dog from a pup and took her with him on his trips (truck driver) but in the last year and a half he was completely involved in drugs and basically ignored the dog. Well, he overdosed and died. His mother (he was living with her) is now in a nursing home and won't be returning home. Unless homes can be found for the two other dogs, they will go to a shelter (no-kill). One poor dog, a pit mix, is tied outside (he has a dog house) but has been basically ignored. It seems friendly but to my knowledge has never been inside. A neighbor has been feeding, watering them. However, with the hurricane I'm going to suggest that she call the shelter to pick up the dogs. Guess I've gotten off the original topic (name change for the little dog), Sorry.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

just train the name like you would with a puppy. reward and praise when you say it (start close to the dog an using a high pitch tone)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Garth is offline Registered Users

It can be done. I adopted a KCS ages ago. She was about 8 when I got her. Her name was Tarsha. I HATED that name so I changed it to Charles (Well she was a King Charles spaniel right?). It only took about a week for her to get used to her new name.

When I adopted Buzz, I seriously considered changing his name to Teddy. In doing so, I would have had Teddy Bear I decide to leave him unchanged. I'm glad I did. Buzz suits him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Tess responds to Ma Brown..the nic name we gave her.My brother uses Ma Brown instead of Tess and she goes to him.

Ernie responds to all his nic names so sure changing the name won't be a problem if she keeps calling her that name. It is amazing how they change in a new home.They learn so many new things.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

justine is offline Senior Member

Just use it a lot with training and treats. It will click.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Monster's name was "Rocky". On the drive home from New York after picking him up, I would say "Monster!" and give him a treat, over and over again. By the time we were home he knew his new name, lol!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer responds to lots of names (Bauer, Bauie, Powie, Brown Dog, etc.). I think dogs will learn names just by hearing them repeatedly, treating can't hurt either.

When I was a kid I had a tiny white poodle-mix, and I changed her name based on the season (Pumpkin in the fall, Snowball in the winter, Lilly in the spring and summer). She always knew who I was talking to.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It's pretty easily accomplished. Diesel was called Charlie Brown when I got him and before that he was called Chocco. I've changed every one of my rescues names - they adapt quickly. I never even made any specific effort to teach the new name - just used it with the dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

fanny&eddiesmom is offline Senior Member

We didn't change Eddies name but with Haana, who had been a stray, we just kept saying her name over and over. I would sing Haana Bonana Fonana constantly, still do occassionally, within a week she was answering to it.

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

when we got Max his name was Cosmo. we started calling him Max right away and he never showed any confusion. after about a week he didn't even answer to Cosmo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast