Possible future lab owner...Stories, experiences, advice?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible future lab owner...Stories, experiences, advice?

BNS10 is offline Member

DefaultPossible future lab owner...Stories, experiences, advice?

Hey there! I'm new to this forum! My boyfriend and I are looking into purchasing a lab for our pug sometime next year. I have zero experience with Labs, but I grew up with Goldens. Are they similar in personality? I'm used to the shedding since I own a pug (it's HORRIBLE lol...like, little hair tumbleweeds blow through the house on occasion), but do labs shed THAT bad also? Any advice, stories, or experiences would be GREATLY appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

welcome to the board

make sure the lab is for YOU not your pug

labs are great, but would need a lot more exercise, like an hour a day of off leash play/running. they are smart and need mental stimulation/challenge.

Yes labs shed a lot.

labs have many genetic issues, so make sure you find a breeder (if you go with a breeder) that clears both parents for ALL the health issues for which there are test for (hips, elbows, eyes, heart, eic, cmn).
    Last edited by Tanya; 10-28-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

The best advise I could give you is to just read the questions and answers right here in Lab Chat as well as the training section and health section. That'll get you familiar with all possible issues as well as the tone of this forum. Also, if you can find a copy of this book:

Labrador Retrievers For Dummies: Joel Walton,Eve Adamson: 9780764552816: Amazon.com: Books

I recommend it. It certainly isn't exhaustive, but it gives a good general synopsis of what you can expect from the breed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BNS10 is offline Member

Yes, we would definitely be getting the lab for us! I should have worded it differently lol. I was aware of the hip, elbow, and eye dysplasia...but I just browsed the Health section and was unaware of all those other health problems. From what I had always heard, labs were in general healthy dogs. Are those other health problems (i.e. heart, bloat, ACL) very common?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

heart yes. if you get lab either get a rescue or go with an ethical breeder that proves their dogs in a venue (field, show, hunt) and does ALL the clearances.

Bloat is nto SUPER common in labs. it is there but is more common in breeds with deep chests. as far as I know it has nothing to do with genetics (not hereditary)

ACL - good question, one i have asked. not sure if they have determined if that is linked to genetics or not. Might be more environmental.

Labs are super overbred by everyone and their neighbour, so yes they have been plagued with many health issues.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Hi and welcome!
    Enjoy the lab, great dogs. They shed, but nothing you can't cope with.
    The only medical issues I have had, so far, has been cancer, malignant melanoma.
    Not specifically a lab thing, just a wicked thing as it is.
    Fingers crossed thats all we deal with. It's been enough.

Compared to a Golden, I prefer the labs. Not as much grooming for the lab versus the golden.

BNS10 is offline Member

I just double checked and luckily the breeder I'm looking at tests for everything and both parents have been cleared! They just seem like great family dogs. If i have a male would I be okay getting another male? Are the pretty easy to potty train? I hear a great deal of different things! Also, is there any temperament differences between M & F?

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

From the labs and goldens that I have seen labs seem to be much more outgoing than goldens. They seem to be much more likely to run up to a stranger and say hi than goldens. Goldens also seem to be a bit less high energy and a bit more timid too. In puppy classes and obedience classes and and the dog park goldens have been much more likely to keep all four paws on the ground than labs. Overall, I think labs seems to be much more engaged with their owners.

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Quote Originally Posted by BNS10 View Post
    I just double checked and luckily the breeder I'm looking at tests for everything and both parents have been cleared! They just seem like great family dogs. If i have a male would I be okay getting another male? Are the pretty easy to potty train? I hear a great deal of different things! Also, is there any temperament differences between M & F?
    Two males...No problems. I have male / female combo now, but have previously had double and triple males. Never an issue.

I think potty training is pretty easy. Just like a new baby, there are a few weeks of intense "watching" waiting and learning, but they really
    pick it up quick. I decided to bell train Diesel after hearing about it, and have been pleased how quick he took to ringing the bell. Only trouble is
    he BARELY dings it, like" TINK". But now he just comes and gives me the eyeball gaze, followed by a WOOF. The worst part of potty
    training for me was getting up a few times in the night to let him out.... what a reminder of looooooong past infant nights.
    Diesel is 4 months 3 weeks, and hasn't had but 4 accidents in the house, last was about 3 weeks ago. And all this were my fault. I did not
    catch his clues fast enough.

Temperment ... oh there was a thread a while back, the difference between males and females.
    I had struggled to put it words correctly, as I have male / female.... and I prefer the males.
    But someone summed it up prefectly.... this is how I took it...
    and it so fits all the males and females I have owned.

males are ... " I love YOU, I really LOOOOOVE YOU" in their behaviors
    females are ... "Love ME, love ME, I need you to love ME"

As I sit here, Diesel is under the chair, gently breathing on my foot, always close.
    Kayce, my girl, is staring at me and bumping my hand to pet her head.

He is showing he loves me and my company, just wants to be near me.
    She is showing me she needs attention from me, right now.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

A friend has a Golden and it sheds more than my 2.

Like people dogs are all different. Some Labs are very laid back, others, more busy, and there is the inbetween. They are fabulous dogs and I couldn't imagine life without one. Reading here you will get a general idea.

In 10 years I have had 3 Labs and each my heart dog. For me no matter what issues come our way with them we get through them as nothing beats the love of a Lab.

My first was a female puppy. Took forever to potty train. She was smart, funny and taught me so much more than I ever thought possible. She adored everyone.

I adopted her litter mate Ernie when he was 3.5. He hadn't been trained and there were times I wanted to kill him. He is smart, funny, has hip and joint problems,hate the leg lifting, but wouldn't be without him. He is more aloof, but that could be previous owners.

Last year I rescued Tess.She has allergy issues, is the most laid back living thing I have ever met, loves people so much she can't stop licking them, adores, Erns, and glad she is in my life. She is a real snuggle bunny both her and Erns curl up together beside me if I sit down.
    Last edited by kassabella; 10-29-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast