Helping an outdoor dog come inside?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping an outdoor dog come inside?

jorona is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelping an outdoor dog come inside?

Hi all, I've been browsing here over the last week and finally made an account so I could post.

I've had shelter-rescued lab mixes ever since I left home about 15 years ago and have loved every one of them to pieces. I now have a 9 year old black lab/basset hound girl who has been the most special to me thus far. She is now an only dog after we lost our 12 year old black lab/pit bull back in August to cancer. She has never been an only dog, she's always had at least one buddy, and now that he's gone she's showing some separation anxiety and has actually hurt herself trying to get out of our fenced in backyard. So I'm hoping that adopting again will help her (and us as well).

I've been watching the shelters for a lab or lab mix who'd be a good fit for us and I think I found him yesterday. He's a 4 year old chocolate lab, picked up as a stray, who's obviously only been outdoors (as evidenced by the huge callouses on his joints from lying on concrete, etc). But we visited him and his temperament is wonderful! Anyway, I wrote all of that to ask this: How hard is it to housetrain an adult (neutered) lab who has never lived inside? I've only ever adopted adults who were already trained so this is new for me. I'd like to have an idea of what I'm getting into with trying to help him turn into an indoor pet before I make the commitment.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I am sorry you lost your best friend I don't know how hard it will be but with another dog already in the house I would think that would help. Stick to a regular schedule so he understands what is expected. Also keeping him in a restricted area might help because I doubt he knows what a crate is, but you could try it.

good luck!!

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by jorona View Post
    Anyway, I wrote all of that to ask this: How hard is it to housetrain an adult (neutered) lab who has never lived inside?
    Should be EASY! I adopted my GSD when she was 11. She was strictly an outside dog for all those years while the 3 cats lived inside. she had no problems adapting to being inside as evidenced by this pic.

I had her for 3 wonderful years before losing her to cancer.

When I adopted Bear (my current Lab), I was told by his foster Mum he was an inside dog but was shut outside at night. He was 6yo when I got him last year. He had no problems adapting to being inside at night either. He now sleeps in the dog bed, my bed or his choice of 2 couches. You just need to look at some of my "couch pics" posts to see how easily he got used to it.

Dogs aren't stupid. They know where they're better off & will reward you 1,000X over for it.

Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I agree with the other posters. It may take a little work/time & patience, but it will be well worth it. I hope he is a good fit for you. Having another dog in the house may help.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

it isn't hard at all. dogs adapt much more quickly and easily than most humans give them credit for.

just watch him in the house at first. Maybe keep a leash on him. go outside often, praise when he does his business outside. I find giving a command to their business helps. In the house watch them like a puppy, if they go to to make a loud noise and get them outside hten praise. it really isn't hard. Heck, the last two pound dogs I had here (and the shep in my siggy was a stray on his own for quite awhile) barely had accidents (actually none) and both were intact males.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestGirl View Post
    I am sorry you lost your best friend I don't know how hard it will be but with another dog already in the house I would think that would help. Stick to a regular schedule so he understands what is expected. Also keeping him in a restricted area might help because I doubt he knows what a crate is, but you could try it.

good luck!!
    I have crated trained all my fosters. Some were older and never crate trained. haven't had any major issues 18 fosters into the game.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Sorry about your dog. I lost one to the cancer beast.

I think it depends on the dog. Erns was a menace, and very hard so took time and patience with him. Tess is older, and thought it would be hard, but she is more laid back. I think they are so happy to have good lives they settle well.

Ernie was 3.5 when I got him and he hadn't had any training at all. Not even house trained as he was kept outside. He was difficult, but time and patience we did it. He is the most amazing dog and at 10 the thought of him getting older makes me sad..

Tess is 6 and I rescued her a year ago. She was in a bad way and her owners didn't even know where she slept outside, and again not house trained. At first she was scared, and broke out of the crate. Didn't take long before she discovered humans are good. She has settled into our house as if she has been here all her life. She now knows basic commands and a very different dog to the one I bought home a year ago. Has taken time to crate train her, but I didn't push it as she didn't get up to antics. Once again I have been blessed to have another heart dog and she adores Ernie.
    Last edited by kassabella; 10-27-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I think it will be easy to train him. Labs are smart an eager to please. he may be so happy to be inside and part of a family that he tries extra hard to please you. I am sorry for your loss.We lost our 12 yr old suddenly in May 2011. It is so hard, isn't it!? We got Sophie not long after and she has been wonderful, and it helped us to heal.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

My only experience was with my Duke (9YO) I adopted him at about 9 months. He had been kept outside all the time. When he first came into the house, he lifted his leg once. I said "no" and he never did again. End of housebreaking. He had many other problems, but was so very happy to be a house dog and sleep in a real people bed.
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

I did want to add one thing: housetraining may be the easiest of the training issues. Keep in mind he may have not had any training so you will need patience and to take the time to train like you would a puppy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast