Problems wit 9 month old black lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems wit 9 month old black lab

noxflip36 is offline Junior Member

DefaultProblems wit 9 month old black lab

Hi, I am the owner of an extremely energetic and loving 9 month old black lab who is absolutely obedient, but in the past few weeks, has been darting off into the adjoining yards and not coming back unless we chase her down, which is extremely difficult as quick as she is. I know she is burning off some energy and probably wanting to have a chase game with us, but she is going into other peoples property. Just recently we lost her for about 15 minutes at night when she darted out. She literally ran around our house, the neighbors house, and into the street. I've tried everything I have read, from bringing her a treat every time she is done doing her business to keeping her on a leash when I bring her out to relieve herself. I am truly at my wits end. I've considered the shock collar and YES I realize the pros and cons of that but I would really appreciate any advice. I know she is young, but this needs to stop now. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

i wouldnt have her out there, except for being leashed, if you dont have a fence to keep her in. and when you chase her, she thinks it's a game and is gonna run. usually,(not always) if you call her name and run in the opposite direction, she may follow. or with a treat, as you've said.
    but honestly, she's not trustworthy.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

NEVER let your dog off-leash unless you have 100% control (as in a fenced yard), especially if there is a road anywhere nearby. My boys (6 and 7 years old) always go out on leash or on a tie-out, just because they do not have good recall.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Use a leash.

labby is offline Senior Member

You never let a dog off leash that does not have a reliable "COME" command. Keep her leashed.

Laura

Tanya is offline Senior Member

you have to train the recall. and training cannot be done when the dog is loose and running around. you have to set up the dog for success and SHOW them what you want. Start in the house with no distractions and the dog on a long line (well not so long, stay close). pick a new word and retrain it. You have "killed" whatever word you used before, it is now meaningless. NEVER use the word unless you know the dog will come (this is thru lots of training in many phases). Eventually you slowly increase distance and distractions (only one at a time). when you are ready to start outside start when he is tired and likely to want to come anyway, have something super interested and KEEP HIM ON A LONG LINE so you can gnetly "amke" him come. Praise praise prarise. LIke major praise. 30 seconds of praise and rewards.

DO NOT leave this dog off leash in unfenced areas, he's clearly proven that he hasn't earned that freedom. you will have to find ways to exercise him on a long line (or leash) or find fenced areas to let him run (baseball park, dog park, friend's fenced yards).

you haven't taught the dog what you want. having treats isn't training. not if the dog is loose. you have to train it slowly and surely. A shock collar will be USELESS if you do not train what you want them to do first.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Please do not leave her out without a leash, tie-out, or fenced in yard. No matter how well trained you think she is, it takes only an instant of distraction to lose her forever.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Why doesn't going out with her on a lwash work?

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Leash.

That is all.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

I will just say that behavior is dangerous. My moms puppy just died last week because she acted the same way. They had a fenced back yard and she was fine but she was really small that she could slip past you through the front door if you didn't pay attention. She got out and acted that way about coming when she was called and was killed by a car. I hope you never have to go through that with your pup. Like everyone said, keep her leashed at all times outside.
    I have heard good results from the invisible fence. Yes it's not nice but your puppy will quickly learn where the lines fall and most likely won't try to cross it. I am happy you thought of that because if my mom had thought of it her puppy would still be alive. If I were you I would put one in as a back up system, yes it's mean but it beats the alternative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast