What's Up With My Dog?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Up With My Dog?

DefaultWhat's Up With My Dog?

Is my dog weird?

My dog is always on my heels wherever I go in the house. She used to sit in the bathroom while I do my business but since she fears the water - yes, she's part lab and somehow hates water - she'll either wait at the door or scramble under my bed - which is understandable. She thinks I'm going to give her a bath. Usually - wherever I'm sitting or laying down she has to be right there at my feet or side even if it's uncomfortable. I'm talking about laying on my feet balled up head and tail resting on two opposite wooden planks for table legs. Why is that? And that used to be all the time. Now sometimes she'll wonder off and lay somewhere in the house alone. Ninety nine percent of the time making sure I'm visible. If I get out of her line of site she'll hunt me down. The other times - which have only been lately and she's never done this before - she'll go in my room and hop on the bed and go to sleep before me whereas she only went in my room with me and only jumped in the bed when I did as well. Is she just growing more independent? Actually, I'm more curious why they want to be so close to you at times even at the expense of comfort. It's hilarious.

Oh - and lately sometimes she seems totally disinterested in anything to do with me.

And another thing: This happens all the time - when I have people over it's like she wants to be near them more than me. Laying by them instead of me.
    Last edited by Starving_Sound; 10-26-2012 at 02:42 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Both of mine are what we call velcro dogs. If Erns is asleep and I leave the room and he wakes up he will bark for me. Lazy boy won't come and look himself. I call out and he will come to me. I am constantly tripping over Tessa. She is at my feet when I work from home. Erns will be on their couch beside my desk.
    If I am busy and don't sit down by 8pm he barks for me to come and sit with him or sit on the bed with him. Once he is asleep I wonder off and he is quite happy. One day at the beach house with friends he woke while I was in the shower. I had dropped my pjs and he walked around with them before sitting outside the bathroom door with them. Wouldn't let anyone touch them. They are Mums...leave them alone. lolol.

If he isn't beside me he is up to no good.
    Last edited by kassabella; 10-26-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

Duke is like velcro too. He follows me all over the house, right at my heels. If I'm sitting in front of the tv, he's right at my feet, usually leaning on me. He's my bathroom companion. I have to shut the bathroom door when I shower or else he'll join me (he loves water). He's right here by me as I'm typing, lol. He's just being a Lab.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie even lays at my feet when I am on the toilet! I have to scoot her over to even get up! She will open the shower curtain and stick her head in. Often, she sleeps with her chin on my foot. She sleeps between me and my husband. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way....
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

Your his person. He loves you.
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella View Post

If he isn't beside me he is up to no good.
    Words to live by. LOL
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

justine is offline Senior Member

Kolby is my velcro dog but Abbey's a bit more independent. She usually likes to be near me, but not always RIGHT next to me or touching me.

With your pup being a little more distant - how old is she? And is she otherwise acting and eating normally?

kromulok is offline Senior Member

LOL Jax is totally velcro as well. I go pee and he thinks he has to put his head between my legs and look up to see whats going on... lol that is so annoying "Jax NO!" haha. He is such a wiggly butt too, picking up a variety of toys and dropping them at my feet until I decide which one to play with. Such personality. Sleeps right between my wife and I normally. Sometimes decides the floor is better.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I think what the OP is questioning is why his velcro dog is not "that" velcro with him anymore... that IS weird indeed. He´s probably bored and needs something to get out of the routine.

Homer is my "little helper" i.e. my shadow. My Choco Brownie was also a velcro dog. I love velcro dogs, they just love you so much. The very sad part of velcro dogs is that they can develop severe separation anxiety.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

My Gus is a velcro dog also. With me and with my husband. We love it. Miss Princee (my previous most wonderful pup in the world) was not a velcro dog and I find that I really love this in Gus. He follows me into the bathroom too and I also have to make him move to get up...lol. He lays on the floor right in front of the shower door as I shower and I have to make him move to get out. He lubs me I think.
    However I know what you mean when someone comes over......he does not even know who I am....aren't they silly monkeys!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast