my turn to ask for good thoughts
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: my turn to ask for good thoughts

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Defaultmy turn to ask for good thoughts

UPDATE: Thanks again so much for all the good thoughts. Toby's home. And nearly back to himself, though still a bit slow, and most definitely milking it for all the sympathy he can get. Chamois is over the moon to have her big brother back. So things are returning to normal.

We had x-rays done on him, which were not definitive. The vet says that it looks like he has mild displasia in the left hip but it isn't severe enough to cause the symptoms he exhibited last night. His spine is fine. So she's still leaning toward a pinched nerve. We've got some muscle relaxant for him and she's recommending additional glucosamine for the hip. He needs to be on reduced activity for a few days. But the nerve thing we just have to watch and bring him in again if/when it flares up. She says we did everything right last night, giving him aspirin, keeping him warm and as relaxed as possible. At least now we have a good baseline for comparison if the hip starts looking worse as he gets older. So no definitive answer, but he's on the mend. Amazingly, even with the x-rays the bill wasn't too bad (though I wouldn't have cared this morning!).

Again, we really appreciate all the good wishes and concern. Once more, the JL board comes through!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to do this, but Toby and I would appreciate any good thoughts you could spare him right now. He's hurting pretty badly and we're not sure what's wrong. He's at the vet now and I'm waiting to hear back.

Last night he was fine when I got home, his completely normal, happy, crazy self. Our friend was coming over bringing her lab to play. When they arrived, Toby got off the couch to run to the front door, he stumbled a little on the stairs, and then yelped when he got to the front steps. He then just sat there and whimpered, not playing with Jack and Chamois at all.

He'd let us touch him all over, manipulate his hips, knees, and ankles but he was shaking and keeping his head low. He didn't react strongly to any one manipulation or area. He would walk, but all hunched over and half-lame. It wasn't obvious where the locus of pain was, but it was clear he was in a lot of pain. He was still walking though and managed the stairs without visible problems.

At 4:00 AM, he woke me up crying and dragging himself across the floor not using his back legs at all. It was horrifying and scary, like he was paralyzed. I was ready to throw on some clothes and somehow get him downstairs and to the e-vet when he managed to stand on all fours. That calmed him down a bit, and so I coaxed him to walk a few steps, which he did, and then he decided on his own to climb into bed (on my side, which I allowed of course in this case). I got him an aspirin which he took, and he fell asleep. I could actually feel him relax when the aspirin kicked in, and we slept for a couple of hours.

At 7:30 when they opened, we called the vet and took him straight over. As we were getting dressed, he got up on his own and was walking around. He wasn't favoring a particular side, but he was slow and hunched over. Still, it was a huge improvement from the night before - he wasn't crying or whimpering, and he was moving. But he's clearly not himself.

He has in the past, taken a couple of hard falls on his left hip, which have caused him to limp for usually just minutes but once or twice up to a couple of hours afterwards. But the last time we had him checked, the vet thought it was more likely soft-tissue damage or a pinched nerve, since his joints themselves seemed fine. But he hasn't been x-rayed since before we went to Libya (2.5 years). And in each of those incidents, there was an obvious moment where the injury occurred. He's 4, and huge (29.5" at the shoulder and 120 pounds), so we keep him lean, but obviously there's significant load on his joints.

The vet should call soon, I'm sure they'll need to x-ray him at least. Since that was all I could do at the moment and he's in great hands, I came in to work. But it's hard to concentrate.

If you have any ideas about what he might have done, I'd like to hear them. And of course, if you can spare a good thought or two, I'd be most appreciative for the power of the JL board. Thanks!
    Last edited by TobysTrix; 12-04-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: update

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

Oh, poor Toby! I have no idea what could have happened, just want to let you know I'll be praying he's okay.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Poor Toby, sending good thoughts to him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MissZoesMom is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for Toby.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Hugs and prayers Ursula - update ASAP please? I hope it's something simple like a pinched nerve!

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

How scary. Hope that big guy is OK. I have no idea what would cause the symptoms you described especially since he didn't show and particular pain point when you checked him over initially.
    Keep us posted.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Oh, no! Good thoughts for Toby. Sounds like a back injury to me. Hope he is much better and you have a good diagnosis from the vet.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Send good thoughts to Toby and you.

Bella

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Still nothing from the vet. I'm going to be leaving the office in a half-hour or so since they're shutting the whole tower down because of the storm (it's snowing hard in Houston!). At least I'll be home and nearby when the vet does call with news, and poor Chamois won't have to spend the whole day alone.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts and prayers on the way Ursula for your lovely Toby.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast