do worms make your puppy grumpy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do worms make your puppy grumpy?

ChocolateFury is offline Junior Member

Defaultdo worms make your puppy grumpy?

I have a 6th month old puppy, and he has worms. we're deworming today at 5:00 p.m., but I've noticed when ever he gets the he's really disobedient, whiny, and just over all finicky. do you think this is because of the worms? when he doesn't have them he's such a good boy. he listens, AND HE NEVER WHINES. what do ya'll think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Worms can cause discomfort, so that could be a factor, but he is 6 months old so it could also be the fact that he is 6 months old ... which in my opinion is a terrible horrible evil puppy face stage ... LOL
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorable View Post
    Worms can cause discomfort, so that could be a factor, but he is 6 months old so it could also be the fact that he is 6 months old ... which in my opinion is a terrible horrible evil puppy face stage ... LOL
    yeah, that could be it. he's so embarrassing we do a lot of training, and he's PERFECT indoors around myself and other familiar people, but once we're outside he's a completely different dog. YOu wouldn't think he's had a minute of training in his entire life. I don't really like to "correct" him in public, because I don't want people to think I'm "abusing" him which I'm not. I just know a lot of people don't use force with their dogs, they use treats and what not, but Renly doesn't respond well to treats when he's distracted. It really put a damper on his ability to interact with the public.

I just don't want him to get harmed or anything horrible like that. he is literally the definition of rambunctious. he is never naughty, he NEVER destroys things or does anything that would warrant "punishment" he just loves people and dogs so much that he can't control himself.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Question -= how often has the 6 mo old had worms?

Quote Originally Posted by BoatDog View Post
    Question -= how often has the 6 mo old had worms?
    he came with really really bad worms. I dewormed him. They didn't all leave. I later had him dewormed again, they are now back about 3 weeks later. The vet says she thinks he has had a heavy load, so it w=may take a bit of time. fortunately we've moved houses recently so there is less of a chance form him getting it from the ground outside. He doesn't poop in our yard. we go far away, and I dispose of the poop. Once we pick up the dewormer today I will sanitize our new house. I've also gotten rid of all of his bedding.

so to answer your question, twice under my care. today will be the third time.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Worm him every 6-7 days for 3 weeks. That should take care of the worms.

And yes, correct him when he's out of the house. I think he may have picked up that he doesn't get corrected in public, and so can get away with bad behavior. Have you taken any training classes with him?
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Have you tried training "watch me" with him? It is a good way to keep your dog's focus so that he can be more reliable when is a situation that provides distraction.

If you have not done a formal class, now might be the time to start.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Have you tried training "watch me" with him? It is a good way to keep your dog's focus so that he can be more reliable when is a situation that provides distraction.

If you have not done a formal class, now might be the time to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    Worm him every 6-7 days for 3 weeks. That should take care of the worms.

And yes, correct him when he's out of the house. I think he may have picked up that he doesn't get corrected in public, and so can get away with bad behavior. Have you taken any training classes with him?

Thanks for the worming tip! I didn't know that you could do that. should I ask my vet to supply that much medicine, or should I pick something up from the store? I haven't done any formal classes. I know it's a good idea, but I don't have the funds right now. I will have to tighten my belt this month and save up for next month. I would rather go without for a few weeks, than have a disobedient dog.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how you trained outside the house or do you do all the training in the house/yard? you need to train your dog (actual training) in new places with slowly increasing distractions. dogs do not generalize, just because they are super obedient in the house does not mean they know this means they have to listen anywhere else or with added distractions. that comes with training in different places and slowly increasing distractions.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how long have you had him now?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast