Doggy Day Care - Good idea?

Thread: Doggy Day Care - Good idea?

jls
    jls is offline Senior Member

DefaultDoggy Day Care - Good idea?

I took my pup to doggy day care for the first time yesterday (She is 6 months). When I got there in the morning there were only a few pups. I picked her up at lunch time and there were probably 30 dogs. She was so exhuasted that she quickly ate and immeditely fell asleep. I brought her back about an hour later and she played for the rest of the afternoon. When I picked her up around 5 she was so tired. We went for a very quick walk and she pretty much slept the entire night. She didn't wake up until 7:20 this am. She is usually up by 6am.

I am just wondering if this seems like too much activity for a 6 month old. She had no energy last night. The only thing she did was eat dinner and go outside a few times to pee. My boyfriend usually brings her to work so we don't normally send her to doggy day care. This will never be her daily routine. I live in a small apartment so I don't like to leave her there for too long. I could also probably send her to day care for half the day. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Tilly

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rukus&Dozer is offline Senior Member

Well, I don't take either of my boys to doggie day care, but if it were me, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Yeah, if you were taking her there EVERY DAY I might think it was a bit too much activity...but a good long play session once in a while isn't a bad thing IMO.

I might ask the day care what they do if they see a dog that is over-stimulated. Do they remove it from the situation and allow it some down-time?

LovingLabs is offline Member

Smile

Madison has been going to daycare since she was 3 months, she is now 8 months old, this is also the place where she has had all her training. She started off at 4 days a week and now 5 days a week. On a normal day there are about 15 dogs ... by Thursday and Friday there are probably about 20-25 .. I drop her off at 7 and pick her up at 5:30 ... The owner is also the trainer, there are also 3 other certified trainers that work there ... it's a long day for her yes and she comes home exhausted...but we have the weekends ...When she has full run of the house she will attend daycare 3 days a week. For us this is the best place for her and as a pup we didn't have any other choice ... best decision we've ever made ...but then again on the down side where she is so use to being with dogs all the time her training has to be reinforced more often
    Last edited by LovingLabs; 10-23-2012 at 12:59 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jls
    jls is offline Senior Member

Thank you. This was great advice. I just went home and gave her lunch and let her relax for a bit. She is back at day care now. I am sure she has fun there and it makes for a very relaxing evening for me! Tomorrow will be the her last day there for a while. She will probably miss all of her new friends!

Tilly

my2labs is offline Senior Member

If we had a doggy daycare close enough to my house, Mo would go. We have a pet sitter instead. I have a friend who takes her Airedale to a daycare twice a week. Her dog is socialized with other dogs and my friend is happy that she knows her dog is being taken care of. They will even take your dog to the vet if needed and give medication.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

FLMike is offline Member

I worked at a Doggie Day Care center part time. The dogs absolutely loved it!! I was always amazed at how well the dogs interacted. When a new dog showed up we would introduce them slowly the few couple of times. We had two bays - the new kids would come into the first bay for a few minutes to relax and get used to the new sights and smells. After that we would bring them into the second bay and introduce them to a few dogs that we knew were good with new kids. From the second bay they could see and smell all the other dogs through the gate. After a few minutes there they would go into the main play yard. We had four different yards so we could keep the small guys away from the big guys, etc. but after about an hour they would all end up together. As the human "alpha" on sight I got to know which dogs could annoy the others and kept an extra eye on them. Never had any problems. We would occassionally get some minor injuries but it was always from playing, not fighting. Each time a new kid arrived we would go through the same routine. After a dog had been a couple of times we could just take them out to the playyard and let them have fun!!
    I think it is a very good way for dogs to be socialized to other dogs. It was often the humans that created stress for the dogs; that's why the humans were not allowed into the play areas with thier dogs....

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

There was a similar thread a few weeks ago...

Max goes 3 days a week but I need to cut that back as the cost adds up quick. He is very tired after a day if play as well
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....