Question for rehab after TPLO or TTA

Thread: Question for rehab after TPLO or TTA

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion for rehab after TPLO or TTA

Tess had a TTO which is similar. What were you doing at the 6-8 week stage?

We are at week 6 and not sure how much walking she should be having.The information sheet and what the surgeon tells me are completely different.Last week the surgeon said next week we will discuss walking her outside for 5-10 mins, but until then continue crate and potty only. We are having problems with her allergies so she suggested I see my vet for this weeks Adequan injection.

They didn't put the appointment into the computer so didn't see either my vet or the surgeon. Tess has been fine until yesterday and limping. Not sure if she is banging it on the side of the crate scratching. that has hurt it.
    Vet I saw was in a hurry, gave her the Adequan injection, told me to increase her Pred to 2 a day, and no idea what to do for her leg.
    The surgeon doesn't want her on Pred if we can help it......and this guy increased it. I tried to make an appointment for next Mondays injection.The surgeon is away and the front staff have no idea who is on this week or next week.
    Last edited by kassabella; 10-23-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

At 6 weeks post TPLO (both times), Java was walking 2.2 miles, 2 x a day, with some serious inclines.
    She was also hiking in the woods (on leash), stepping over logs, walking on uneven ground and she also started controlled, leashed deep water swimming (with me in the water with her) 3-5 times a week, 10-15 minutes at a time.

Every dog and every recovery is different though. Java was very young (only 13 months old at the time of her first surgery), but I would think that they would encourage more walking. Java started rehab with a PT at 2 weeks post op, when her staples came out. That was also when she started walking and increasing her distance/time every few days...so that by week 6 when she had her healing x-rays, she was doing 2.2 miles/45 minutes of walking twice a day. We kept increasing after that point also and upped her rehab because her bone was 100% healed.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Have you considered giving Tessa the Adequan injections yourself?
    I give Java her injection every 3 weeks. Her ortho surgeon gave me a lesson.
    Saves a trip to the vet and the cost of an appointment.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Chris

At the six week stage, I was told that I could gradually increase Jasper's exercise weekly up to 40 minutes on week 12 including some hill work. They didn't specify how much hill work so i took that to mean 15 minutes on week 7, 20 minutes on week 8, 25 minutes on week nine, 30 minutes on week 10, 35 minutes on week 11, 40 minutes week 12 - all on lead !

I took the decision at week 10 to let him have off lead exercise when no other stimuli were around !

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Thank you. I walked Tess at around the 5 weeks and she became very sore holding her leg up. As she hasn't been on anti-inflammatories due to the Pred it is taking longer, so think this is why the vet is being conservative. Plus Tess is a very bouncy dog. Vet said last week she hadn't lost muscle tone which is good.We live on a hill so she will get plenty of that. I think I will go with my gut and do pretty much the same as I did when Erns had a partial tear.

Poor wee girl is sick to death of the crate and sometimes refusing to go in so I leave her out. The times I leave her out too long she limps.

Javasmom her Pentosan is the 4 week set up and like to see the vet for her allergies and leg. We are really struggling with her allergies and we are worried the chewing may become a habit.
    I am not sure I could give them injections. I still have the notes you emailed me. I got some of the inside of the bolts fabric for the log step over so intend using them. Erns won't go over them and looks at me as if to say"What the heck....You want me to do what!!!... have you lost your mind."lol.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

l.kyveli is offline Junior Member

Μy dog on January 2012 suffered from ligament cruciate rupture and he had TTA operation. 1 week after the operation we started very small conservative walks and 5 weeks after I started letting him off leash without other dogs around. What we did a lot, 2 months after the operation was swimming which helped the recovery very much.

Edit: Two months after the operation he stopped limping and since then he hasn't limped again ( and I hope he never will).
    Another thing I forgot to mention is the chondroitines pills I am giving him (cosequin).
    Last edited by l.kyveli; 10-24-2012 at 03:40 PM.

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

Bella's orthopedic surgeon didnt want her doing anything more
    than leashed pee and poop walks in the back yard.
    At four weeks she was going nuts and I knew she could walk
    so vet allowed 1/4 mile several times daily. I worked up from
    there to what she tolerates, when I see limping we head back.

She is 5 yrs old and has been free for a few weeks now, and
    still limps after walks. She runs fine and swims fine.......
    Vet said it could take up to a year for total healing.
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3