What would YOU do?

Thread: What would YOU do?

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat would YOU do?

Someone down the road from me has a very old pug. It is deaf/blind and can barely walk. I saw it last summer and he was wobbly and you could tell he was in pain. I didn't see him for awhile and figured he must have passed away. But I saw him again a few weeks ago. he could barley walk, sounded terrible and when he tried to stand up he flopped back over again. Finally he just started dragging his hind legs and dragged over to me on the other side of the road. I know I shouldn't have but I picked him up and walking him back to his house. His owners said "thank you" and slammed the door in my face. Okay sorry I didn't want to see the dog have to drag himself back to the house! I saw him again and yesterday and he didn't even bark he just followed me with his eyes. His name is Ty and he is super sweet and in his younger days(meaning when he could walk, he was probably 9ish) he would come up to me and Tank and he was the only little dog Tank didn't try and kill. I want to confront his owners about it but I don't know if I should. I have had people come talk to me about Tank before and I didn't mind. I liked that better than AC showing up at my door,but everyone is different. So what would you do?
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I'm really not sure what I would do, but I can tell you that confronting these people won't help the dog one bit. They KNOW what their dog is like and they chose to ignore it. If the dog is that miserable , I would probably try to convince the people to let me have him, and then if I coulnd't keep him, I would have him put humanely to sleep.

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

If animal has stopped to chat with you then you know it is an option.
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I know how your heart goes out to him, but sometimes there's not much you can do. A few years ago, I met people who had a beautiful senior Lab kept in a small cage outside 24/7...even in the cold Ohio winter. I went over to pet him. He was filthy, smelled of feces. His cage was not cleaned. No one ever played with him. That evening I called them and offered to buy him. They wouldn't hear of it.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If you think he needs medical treatment that they are not providing for him and he is suffering I would call AC. And that may mean that he winds up being put down. But if he is not suffering, but is just not able to walk and they are providing him food, water and shelter - then AC will not be able to help him.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Yeah I know talking to them may not help :/ Cant save them all and I know that. If I see him again I will call AC.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I would have said your Pug is out in the road and could of been hit by a car. Do you want me to take him off your hands because you don't seem too worried about the poor old guy.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Not really much you can do. If you call AC now the owners may blame you for calling them. The owners maybe caring for him as best they can and can't face saying goodbye.
    Sometimes living with an animal people can't see how bad it has become.
    It is hard when you care so much.Perhaps you could get your Mum to talk to them if they pass in the street, or even you say you are worried and hope your dog is o.k.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

There is probably mot much you can do....

The owners may well be aware of how bad he is, but can not do anything about it (no one can, other than euthanasia). Dealing with the failings of a senior dog is so very hard....and imagine someone taking a snapshot (without the owners input), of a bad moment or two in that dog's life. What if someone had taken a picture of Budweiser (an over weight arthritic Choco that I took for six months a year) when he had to stop and rest every few yards....or of Belle, when on her first "episode" I had to drag her out on a blanket to pee...she had several months after that where she was as spry as a youngster.

Guess what I am trying to say, without the whole story, you (and we can not pass judgement). Try to find out more. Go get a pug sized dog bed, and go to the owner and say someone gave this to you, but your dog's are too big for it and thought his pug might like it...you would rather it go to a friend rather than a strange dog....

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Yeah that's why I was going to talk to them and find out some more info and if I could give some advance from what I've learned here. I haven't seen them for a few days now though.