Cassie tried to hump me!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cassie tried to hump me!

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

DefaultCassie tried to hump me!

While I was watching tv Cassie came on me and she was sniffing me everywhere, my hands, my arms, my shoulders, my chest ...everywhere! Then she tried to hump me! I pushed her away and said "NO"!! After a while she tried to do it again.

She did this before, when she was 3-4 months old, but she did it on one of the bone pillows. It was her favorite toy. Since then she didn't do it again. Is it her hormones? I guess it's normal, right? She turned 11mo last week.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Is she also still growling and being possessive over her food/toys? Sounds to me like she really does not respect you and you don't have much control of her.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Jwelder is offline Junior Member

Humping is a dominance behavior, she is trying her hand at being the head honcho. Make sure you take the steps in showing her that you are the leader of the pack (so to speak). If you already do then keep it up and she will get the point .

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I would immediately put her on a leash and drill her in obedience for 10 minutes or so when she tried.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Is she also still growling and being possessive over her food/toys? Sounds to me like she really does not respect you and you don't have much control of her.
    No, she doesn't do that. In fact yesterday when she was having her kibble, I reached my hand in her bowl to take some kibble out and she didn't growl. She never growled when I was trying to take kibble from her bowl while she was eating.

Same goes with her toys. When we play with her goughnuts I take them from her mouth easily. I tell her "leave it" and she gives it to me.

The only thing she growled at was the cat poop and the piece of charcoal.

Also when I eat she seats quiet next to me until I finish and then I feed her.

She obeys me and respects, I think you misunderstood her

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Humping is a sign of dominance. A dog (male or female) will hump anyone (dog, cat or human) he or she thinks is lower in the pack. You just have to let her know you're the leader, not her. She's testing right now, but you're going to want to nip it before it becomes an issue.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Jilian is offline Senior Member

When you watch TV is she allowed to sit on the couch next to you? If so, maybe it is time to send her to the floor so she is sure of her place. We had a female dog try to hump Flynn at the dog park twice, he turned and pushed her away with his nose the first time and the second time he growled at her, she got the message quick and didn't do it again. Just let Cassie know that it is not acceptable and you are the pack leader and she'll stop.

She tried to do it again last night but I pushed her away, said "NO" and I turned around and went to the kitchen for a few minutes. I ignored her.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I have to agree with Sharon. You have posted quite a bit lately about various behavioural issues with Cassie. Whether Sharon was bang on with specific situations... or perhaps paraphrasing (?), you have had issues with Cassie growling, being possessive, eating poop, jumping on the bed, barking at people, acting up when tied up on the porch, etc etc. Now she is eating bed sheets. These are all signs of a dog who is testing boundaries in an environment she feels she can push buttons in.... aka a dog lacking respect for its owner.

She may listen to sit, stay, etc, but she is clearly not seeing you as "top dog." It is not hormonal, has nothing to do with her heat cycles, it is behavioural. "No" is too broad of a command as it can sometimes without thinking fly out of your mouth during various situations and pose confusion to a dog. What command do you use for when she jumps on people? "Off" is a good one. Gently pushing her off, turning away from her and then ignoring her is good. Be consistent.

Well, she didn't do it last night. Hope she got the message. She rarely jump on to people now. But when she does I say "DOWN".

Some of the commands are in englsih and some ine Greek.
    Last edited by mistarkos; 10-25-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast