embarrassing moment of the day

Thread: embarrassing moment of the day

lisa is offline Senior Member

Defaultembarrassing moment of the day

Well I was out in my yard with Lola and Gracie this morning playing fetch and cleaning dog poop. Gracie had no leash because we were playing and Lola kept trying to hang on to the leash, so I took it off. We live on a dead end road with very little traffic ,so it was safe...until Gracie spotted the little laso apso walking by. She bolted to the poor dog and was chasing her, the leash was getting tangled around my neighbor... well I finally got a hold of Grace, the poor dogs heart was probably beating 100 miles an hour. Of course Grace did not hurt her, she just wanted to play. The woman did not seem mad, but took her dog and went in the other direction. I am having such a hard time getting Grace to listen to me. We have done the dog training, that helped in some areas, but she just won't come when I call her...especially when there is something so tempting like another dog. I think we are enrolling in another session of dog school after the holidays.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the world of prey drive. LOL Does she know the "down" command? Try using that instead of "come". It works for Buddy. He sometimes just blows me off when I use "come". He will listen to "down" for some reason. The drop on command is a great thing to teach.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the world of prey drive. LOL Does she know the "down" command? Try using that instead of "come". It works for Buddy. He sometimes just blows me off when I use "come". He will listen to "down" for some reason. The drop on command is a great thing to teach.
    Agreed. I've sometimes used "Sit!" effectively when "Come!" wasn't working.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am going to try that, she does know down and sit. Maybe keeping a really special treat...she loves steak would help too. For some reason she has never really listen to "come"for me, only when we are actually practicing training and I give the sit, stay and then come command does she listen. I gueass that little furry dog was just way to much of a distraction for her

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I don't think any of mine would come under similar circumstances. Calling her to get a treat is your best bet.

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Bummer Lisa! My best tip is to put her on a really long leash (like a horse longe line) and work on her recall in your yard!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Samson is offline Senior Member

My pups sometimes seem to know instinctively when I tell them leave it and really mean it ( Intonation ? ) but with an attractive dog on the horizon, no end of commands or treats will stop them.

I don't usually worry in the dog park as they know most of the dogs ( boring ) but if I go to a strange place they are always on the leash

vickig is offline Member

Reminds me of the time I was walking my boy, on leash, and came upon a friend of mine and her little dog. We thought we could introduce the dogs, but mine were so excited and hers so terrified that hers ran, mine got away from me and chased him and they ran all the way back to her house. THEN they heard me calling and came back to me. Mine thought it was such a great game (luckily no traffic at that moment). I know they should be better trained,and perhaps they are by now, but I'm a lot more careful.

Quote Originally Posted by vickig View Post
    Reminds me of the time I was walking my boy, on leash, and came upon a friend of mine and her little dog. We thought we could introduce the dogs, but mine were so excited and hers so terrified that hers ran, mine got away from me and chased him and they ran all the way back to her house. THEN they heard me calling and came back to me. Mine thought it was such a great game (luckily no traffic at that moment). I know they should be better trained,and perhaps they are by now, but I'm a lot more careful.
    At least I don't feel so all alone