How accurate is your Lab's internal clock?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How accurate is your Lab's internal clock?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow accurate is your Lab's internal clock?

I keep being continually amazed at Puff's internal timer. She doesn't have a pocket watch or wrist watch, but she's puzzligly accurate about times things should happen.

I get up at 6:30 AM and we're often out the door by 6:45 to go for a 40 minute offleash walk in the nature preserve.. If I oversleep or dawdle, Puff licks my ear until I tell her to stop and lie down and then she repeats it again every 15 minutes until I get up.

Afternoon potty break is roughly around 2 PM for peeing & pooping.

Supper should be at 5 PM.

Last P&P break for the night should be at 10 PM.

I'm often not precise on those last 3. Sometimes a half hour early or an hour late.

But Puff often reminds me it's time, then I look at my watch as I did a few minutes ago, and see it was 9:57! Not too bad for a dog without a clock, is it?

I told her to lie down (which she did) and we'll go out probably around 10:15.

She so often comes within a few minutes of the desired time, it makes me wonder -- how in the world does she do that when I don't keep her on that precise a schedule?

OKAY, Puff! Let's go out!

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Our routine is pretty standard every day. I am usually up by 5:30, take the boys out, back inside and they get breakfast. We play inside for a bit, then out one last time before I leave for work. They get lunch about noon. When I gtet home about 4, weather permitting, I take them to the College and let them fetch and play around in the tall grass behind our baseball field. Then we walk for a bit, home by 5:30, eat at 6. Potty about 8, then last time about 10.

Like Puff, Tal and Barney will lick my ear/face until I get up too! I think they all conspire together on that one! lol

Felix is offline Senior Member

I never have to set a alarmclock, Laika is evry morning at 7am awake, and then she wants to eat

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Bob, not sure how they know, but they do!

Lexi is most definitely a creature of habit. Wake up is 5:45 am, except weekends & then it might be as late as 6:30. Breakfast is as soon as mommy is up & has her eyes open. (No, I don't even get my coffee first). Out for our 45 minute walk.

Dinner is promptly at 5:00 PM & heaven forbid should I be running late getting out of the office, she is at my elbow giving me "the stare", as if to say "well, mom it is 5, where is my dinner, I am hungry!"

Last potty trip out is between 9:45 - 10:15 PM. Bedtime most nights by 10:30 - 11:00.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

joflake is offline Senior Member

Yep, they certainly are reliable to get us up for work! They also know when it's the weekend and they don't have to get up. Sometimes we have to make them get out of bed!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hershey Kisses is a mix on this topic. In the morning, she waits for me. Of course, I am up between 5-6 and it is not a problem for her.

Once I get downstairs, she greets me and sits at her feeding station. No, Dad! We don't go out first. You feed me first, then we go out.

2:00-2:30 - Nudge. Wait. Poke. Wait. Woof. Wait. Woof! Wait. WOOF! WOOF! It's time for the DP, DAD! Remember????

4:45-5:00 - Velcro Dog. 5:05, no nudging or poking. No woof. Straight to WOOF! WOOF! It's time to feed me, dummy!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Rush and Boo have the same clocks as Puff! They know when it's time to get up and on Saturday, even though daddy goes to work just like every other day, they realize it's Saturday and it's a sleep in day. We usually get up around 7:00ish as that is breakfast time on their lab watches. On the weekends, at 11:00 it's time to go out and play ball. Don't even think you can get out of it UNLESS it's raining. Then they know we don't do ball in the rain. Lunch time usually nets them a couple of bites of whatever I'm having then it's nap time. After nap time comes bitey face extreme, then they camp out in front of the window starting at 4:15ish waiting for daddy to come home. It's uncanny how accurate they are. Rush is the most accurate of the two. Amazing.

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

Duke has an amazing internal clock. Our weekday alarm goes off at 5:45 and Duke starts to stir at 5:40 waking me up. He licks, shakes his head, plops down from his sleeping chair and wonders over to my side of the bed precisely in time for the alarm to go off.

Duke and Freckles at their country home

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

5:00 buzzer goes off for both Clancey and Harper - time to eat, time to eat, time to EAT

dweck is offline Senior Member

Wes not only has a clock but a calendar. He knows Wednesdays are dog-class night and will trot to the car upon arriving home from our walk that night. How he knows this is beyond me.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast