Backpacks

Thread: Backpacks

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

DefaultBackpacks

Do you use backpacks on your dogs? Which backpack do you use and why? What kind of stuff do you give them to carry?
    Is Cesar's Milan backpack better than the other backpacks?

I found a very nice and cool backpack from Ruff Gear and I'm thinking of getting it for Cassie. At what age should they carry a backpack?

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Dio and Kaity each have a backpack for when we hike. They have ECOgear packs and I love them. We pack their food in a ziplock bag, a bowl that collapses (made of material), poop bags and water. I'm not sure if the CM pack is better or not. Try on a few and see which one your prefer for Cassie. As for age, we waited until Dio was at least 1 1/2 years old before we used one.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Layla wears this one: -.

She used to have one from outward hound I believe. It was crap. The seems unraveled after a year of use. I personally wouldn't get Cesar Millan's back pack. It looks like it is really overpriced and poorly made. I got the one I have now from Canine Equipment (through a local pet store) for a couple reasons. First, the bags taper towards the back so the contents of the bags usually end up in the front putting most of the weight near my dogs front legs and off the middle of her back. Second, the backpack is of higher quality. Third, the back pack is ultra adjustable. One of the adjustable things is the bags come off leaving just a harness.

Layla has worn a back pack a majority of the time when we are out and about since she was a puppy. She had nothing in them until she was 1.5 years old(her bones needed to 'mature'). At 1.5 years I ramped up the weight with water bottles of different sizes up until she got to carrying around 10lbs (layla weighs 68lbs, 15% her body weight). I don't weigh the bags down when she is on a forced jog (jogging with me on a leash). I put anything that can fit in the bag including my stuff and hers. That includes, bandages, wraps, water, water dish, reflective vest, flash light, wallet, keys, cell phone, snacks, tennis balls, etc. It is kind of a pain sometimes to get the bags to balance. I use my wallet, keys, and cell phone as optional weights to get the bags to balance.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

That pack looks cool, SCM. Did it take long for Layla to get used to it?

I want to get one for Diesel, not sure how he will take to it, he freaks when the leash just casually rests on his back, lol!

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

She was pretty young when we first started. I can't remember exactly when, but I am guessing between 4 and 6 months old. I started out putting the pack on her right before I took her to the woods so she was very excited and didn't care what I was doing as long as we got out the door. After a while picking up the back back was like picking up the leash. Layla knew we were headed out. The pack was empty for at least a year that she used it so I think she barely noticed it at all. After I started weighing it down she now notices if I fill up the water bottles or not. She stops about a foot further out when I call her in her own little rebellion. After it is on she is her normal self other than she gets tired quicker.

For Diesel being grown up and all I would start off slowly by putting it on for short periods of time empty inside the house and slowly progressing from there. It might be less a big deal if Diesel has worn a harness, because that is what my back pack is minus the bags. If Diesel does freak out, maybe get her dog tired and then try to get the backpack on?

Another thing I forgot to mention, if you do get a back pack don't get one with mesh on the outside if you let your dog off leash in the woods. The mesh catches on stuff and rips right away.

Oh yeah, yet another thing about back packs. You have to check the padding that touches the dogs skin really well. Layla likes to kamakazie through the brush and got a stick stuck in some of the padding. I am not sure if I missed it or it happened during one time when we were out, but she ended up with a scratch that bled pretty well.

I'm thinking of this one:
    Ruffwear | For dog on the go

Anyone is using it? I can't try them before I buy them because am ordering online.

nicole is offline Senior Member

I have the ruff wear pack and I love it! No packing until the dog is full grown though.

Cool! I'll buy it then so Cassie can wear it empty to get used to it until she's grown.