1) The slobber appears to have similair properties to botox. Every time harvey 'kisses' me, my skin goes all tight, i may have to start paying him to kiss me in a few yrs lol
2) It is impossible to do 'sit-ups' in the same room as a labrador.
3) no matter how far away they are, they hear the fridge door open.
4) It is impossible to stay mad at a lab
What have you learnt?
1. Touching them means they will lean on you or melt in to a puddle on the floor, upside down, for the belly to be rubbed. Don't think you get to stop either!
2. Those eyes, there is something about those eyes.
3. Eating in front of them is mean, as far as they are concerned it is torture.
4. Always keep towels handy.
5. Buy a good vacuum.
6. Mostly I have learned that Labs are the most wonderful dog in the world.
Maxx & Emma Jean
Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.
Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.
There is no such thing as the 3 second rule with a Lab in the house!
Hair, it is going to be everywhere!
What I have learned...usually the hard way.
-When she wakes up at 5 am (or earlier) I wake up at 5 am (or earlier)
-When she runs into the mud I *will* also get muddy no matter how I try not to
-When she gets into the lake even just at the edge I *will* get wet no matter how I try not to
-When I think I am "training" her she is usually training me
-I will never ever get done vacuuming
-When I think I am holding my ground and being strong she gives me that look and I melt
-She is scary smart
I could go on and on...
Last edited by August; 09-12-2012 at 07:02 PM.
What I have learned in the short amount of time since we've had our sweet little boy:
1. that he tries hard to make us happy
2. that he will know where his food is kept and will check on it often and make sure I have the lid on properly!
3. that housebreaking a lab (if they are mostly like him) is a cake walk in comparison to others we've had!
4. that I'm a complete marshmallow for him-our obedience Instructor told me I'm not very firm in my corrections...I'm working on that.
The most important thing I learned THIS WEEK: when I think he has had enough exercise, he needs more!
We love him so much! EVEN when he's naughty, and he does get naughty!
1. They capture my heart and hold it from the very first look
2. They are never with us long enough
3. No matter how bad a day I have had, I know they will bring a smile to my face
4. They love you no matter how you look
5. There is nothing like hugging and kissing a lab
6. You can never take enough pics of them
Things I have learned from living with labs:
~Even a bad day is good when you have labs.
~No matter how often I vacum, I will always have lab hairs in my house.
~Even when they are naughty, those eyes will never let you be mad at them.
~They are so adaptable.
~They don't care where they are going, just as long as they can go with you.
~We never have them long enough.
~They are stoic & even when they are sick they rarely show it.
~Trust, they have so much trust in us.
Things I have learned from my labs:
All days are good days when you have a lab to pet.
Certain words--"ride," "car," "food," and "walk"--will always encourage a butt-tucking session.
If you are rubbing one lab, the second one will butt in.
Labs are loyal to us and each other. (Moses doesn't like to walk without Titan.)
With two labs, all treats must be equal.
While they are obstinate, there are no better 4-legged friends.
We are still new lab owners, but have definitely learned a lot in the short time we have had ours!
- There is no such thing as being full of food
- No bed, blanket, or pillow can ever replace the way your dirty laundry feels to nap on
- They know when I am sad or upset, so I better not try to hide it!
- There is a time and place for cuddling, and they get to decide when that is...even if it is when I am doing work or trying to change, haha
- No matter how tough they act, they will always run to the protection of their mom and dad : )
- Mud is apparently the best feeling on their paws...just check out my sig pic!! Hahaha
1....that we have to spell things around her, like w-a-l-k....well, that only worked for awhile, now she knows even when we spell it...(scary smart)
2...that she seems to still think its ok to chase the black "cats" with the white stripes down their backs, even though they stink to high heaven and she has to be bathed in vile things like tomato juice and vinegar...
3... that she is a bed hog....
4...that she can lay her head in my lap and looks at me with those golden eyes and I'd give her the world..
5...that the arm rests in my van must taste like doggy treats...
6...that she is the apple of our eyes and life would not be the same without our Sophie
Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo
Sophie 15 months, with Skye