Just Labradors banner

Labradors: things I have learnt

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  HarveysMum 
#1 ·
1) The slobber appears to have similair properties to botox. Every time harvey 'kisses' me, my skin goes all tight, i may have to start paying him to kiss me in a few yrs lol

2) It is impossible to do 'sit-ups' in the same room as a labrador.

3) no matter how far away they are, they hear the fridge door open.

4) It is impossible to stay mad at a lab

What have you learnt?

#2 ·
1. Touching them means they will lean on you or melt in to a puddle on the floor, upside down, for the belly to be rubbed. Don't think you get to stop either!
2. Those eyes, there is something about those eyes.
3. Eating in front of them is mean, as far as they are concerned it is torture.
4. Always keep towels handy.
5. Buy a good vacuum.
6. Mostly I have learned that Labs are the most wonderful dog in the world.

#4 · (Edited)
What I have learned...usually the hard way.

-When she wakes up at 5 am (or earlier) I wake up at 5 am (or earlier)

-When she runs into the mud I *will* also get muddy no matter how I try not to

-When she gets into the lake even just at the edge I *will* get wet no matter how I try not to

-When I think I am "training" her she is usually training me

-I will never ever get done vacuuming

-When I think I am holding my ground and being strong she gives me that look and I melt

-She is scary smart

I could go on and on...

#5 ·
What I have learned in the short amount of time since we've had our sweet little boy:
1. that he tries hard to make us happy
2. that he will know where his food is kept and will check on it often and make sure I have the lid on properly!
3. that housebreaking a lab (if they are mostly like him) is a cake walk in comparison to others we've had!
4. that I'm a complete marshmallow for him-our obedience Instructor told me I'm not very firm in my corrections...I'm working on that.
The most important thing I learned THIS WEEK: when I think he has had enough exercise, he needs more!
We love him so much! EVEN when he's naughty, and he does get naughty!

#6 ·
1. They capture my heart and hold it from the very first look
2. They are never with us long enough
3. No matter how bad a day I have had, I know they will bring a smile to my face
4. They love you no matter how you look
5. There is nothing like hugging and kissing a lab
6. You can never take enough pics of them

#7 ·
Things I have learned from living with labs:

~Even a bad day is good when you have labs.
~Unconditional love.
~No matter how often I vacum, I will always have lab hairs in my house.
~Even when they are naughty, those eyes will never let you be mad at them.
~They are so adaptable.
~They don't care where they are going, just as long as they can go with you.
~We never have them long enough.
~They are stoic & even when they are sick they rarely show it.
~Trust, they have so much trust in us.

#8 ·
Things I have learned from my labs:

All days are good days when you have a lab to pet.
Certain words--"ride," "car," "food," and "walk"--will always encourage a butt-tucking session.
If you are rubbing one lab, the second one will butt in.
Labs are loyal to us and each other. (Moses doesn't like to walk without Titan.)
With two labs, all treats must be equal.
While they are obstinate, there are no better 4-legged friends.

#9 ·
We are still new lab owners, but have definitely learned a lot in the short time we have had ours!

- There is no such thing as being full of food
- No bed, blanket, or pillow can ever replace the way your dirty laundry feels to nap on
- They know when I am sad or upset, so I better not try to hide it!
- There is a time and place for cuddling, and they get to decide when that is...even if it is when I am doing work or trying to change, haha
- No matter how tough they act, they will always run to the protection of their mom and dad : )
- Mud is apparently the best feeling on their paws...just check out my sig pic!! Hahaha

#10 ·
1....that we have to spell things around her, like w-a-l-k....well, that only worked for awhile, now she knows even when we spell it...(scary smart)
2...that she seems to still think its ok to chase the black "cats" with the white stripes down their backs, even though they stink to high heaven and she has to be bathed in vile things like tomato juice and vinegar...
3... that she is a bed hog....
4...that she can lay her head in my lap and looks at me with those golden eyes and I'd give her the world..
5...that the arm rests in my van must taste like doggy treats...
6...that she is the apple of our eyes and life would not be the same without our Sophie

#17 ·
2) It is impossible to do 'sit-ups' in the same room as a labrador.
Similar to these...it is also imposible to do any sort of work on or close to the floor (such as messing around with the cables on the dvd player, or fixing a basebord) without having a little helper (or two) butting their heads in.

- It's always a good time for a nap
- Food is to be shared
- Back scratching is AWESOME

#14 ·
All of the above plus:
* I will never be alone in my bathroom again
* Any visitors who use my bathroom will not be alone in there either
* I will never go anywhere in nice cloths without Lab hair covering
* Whenever I sell my car, a lot of Lab hair goes with it
* Lab drool is the most slippery substance known to man

#15 · (Edited)
I have learned...
That no matter how big a lab is, it's a lap dog!
That lab hair will end up everywhere, but that's what a vacuum cleaner is for
Their barking at my arrival is the best music in the world
There is nothing like being woke up on Saturday morning by a paw tap tap tapping on me because it's time to eat
There is nothing more comforting than waking up in the middle of the night and feeling that lab pressed up against you
The sigh you hear when you settle in for the night, tells you all is right in the world
and labs smell wonderful

#16 ·
These are my thoughts:

1. That you can have true admiration for that amazing temperament, that makes them totally fearless, able to guide a blind on the busiest streets or get annoyed by any noise
2. If you could measure love, they love you back twice that number.
3. That Lab hair and loose fur is nothing compared to a Collie´s SO DON´T COMPLAIN. LOL
4. You need to watch your step because there´s usually a Lab lying down right there by your side
5. You can throw a ball all day long and they don´t get bored bringing it back.

#18 ·
All of the above. Plus.

Keep all pantry and cupboard doors closed at all times, counters tidy...even rush into friends before letting the Boy out of the car.

Only way to deal with being outsmarted by your dog is to laugh.

Remebering no matter how many expensive shoes or possessions he destroys, or being unable to buy the new car or furniture saved for because of a vet bill they are only things. No possession can equal the love and joy of a faithful companion.

Being taught with respect and love a human can have a soul mate and heart dog you never thought possible.

#19 ·
Yep, all of the above. Plus...

There's no such thing as "enough". Not treats, or fetches, or petting and loving, or running...never enough.
If he's wet, I'm wet.
Scary smart is right. Especially at learning things they shouldn't.
I can count on them to make me laugh, every day.
How close I've ended up bonding with my boys. I've had great dogs in my life, and I've never bonded with them the way I have with my Labs. Amazing dogs.

#20 ·
All the above and....

Toenails on the hardwood floors are a great sound
Never place anything spillable or breakable on the coffee table in tail swipe range
They like to lay on and all about the legs of my computer chair
Sometimes they are scared of thunderstorms and will wake you up for comfort
They aren't with us long enough and they always take a piece of them with you when the pass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.