Just Labradors banner

On puppy watch......

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  labby 
#1 ·
I bred my co-own Molly back in July. Well, she's due this week with ONE puppy. :( Looks like I'll be doing a c-section. I've got it planned for tomorrow morning. With just one puppy, the body usually doesn't signal that it needs to go into labor.

Oh and for anyone who still thinks breeders breed for anything besides the love of this breed:

Molly's first litter:
$1000 stud fee
$250 progesterone tests
$150 semen shipping boxes
$175 semen shipping

3 live puppies at birth, 1 deceased puppy at 24 hours

Co-Owner took one of the puppies which left:
$900 puppy sale.

Molly's second litter:
$1000 stud fee
$300 progesterone tests
$175 semen shipping
$68 ultrasound
$55 puppy count x-ray
at least $500 for c-section

$950 puppy sale if the puppy is a male

That's not counting the money spent on Molly's clearances, food for the pregnancy, etc.

Yep, I'm swimming in money from breeding. We won't even discuss the expenses from Quinn missing this last time. :(

If all goes well I'll have the puppy cam up maybe sometime tomorrow afternoon kelrobin on Justin.tv

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm sorry, that sucks.

Yeah, there is NO money in breeding animals when you do it right.

#4 ·
What you should do is get into the semen shipping game, that is where the money is. :) Probably a dumb question, but do you pay the whole stud fee if it doesn't "take?"

Prayers for an easy c-section tomorrow.

#5 ·
Good luck with the pup.

To the person who asked, some stud owners want the full fee up front. Some do a service fee at the time of breeding and the remainder due when pups are born. With the service fee option, typically if more than 2 or 3 pups aren't born, the remainder of the fee is waived. Or if it's a miss, the remainder is waived. For upfront fees, stud owners will often offer a rebreed if it didn't take or the required number of pups aren't born.

#6 ·
At this point I think Molly has something going on either with her ovaries or uterus. She'll be spayed and her owner has instructions to make sure the vet who spays her checks her reproductive parts very carefully to see if they can see something. Just part of the fun of breeding. It happens.

#8 · (Edited)
We are on puppy watch 2012 here too Laura. Thinking of you and sending my best thoughts wishes and positive vibes for Molly and her puppy.

I just want to show what my costs are here in California
$1000 stud fee (same cost as yours)
$385 progesterone tests ($77 x 5)
$106 semen shipping Fed Ex (even with Saturday delivery!)
$150 ultrasound
$170 puppy count x-ray (three views-we saw 6)
at least $1500 for c-section, more for an emergency

This isn't counting any puppy supplies, food, vaccines, Litter CERF exams, Well Puppy checks, Microchips, etc... Or the endless loads of laundry, and cleaning supplies etc... In addition to the other costs you mentioned above. Yep we're rolling in money!

I bred my co-own Molly back in July. Well, she's due this week with ONE puppy. :( Looks like I'll be doing a c-section. I've got it planned for tomorrow morning. With just one puppy, the body usually doesn't signal that it needs to go into labor.

Oh and for anyone who still thinks breeders breed for anything besides the love of this breed:

Molly's first litter:
$1000 stud fee
$250 progesterone tests
$150 semen shipping boxes
$175 semen shipping

3 live puppies at birth, 1 deceased puppy at 24 hours

Co-Owner took one of the puppies which left:
$900 puppy sale.

Molly's second litter:
$1000 stud fee
$300 progesterone tests
$175 semen shipping
$68 ultrasound
$55 puppy count x-ray
at least $500 for c-section

#9 ·
I'm not sure how much the c-section is going to cost. All I know is this vet has the proper anesthesia, which most in my area do not. The ER clinic does not have the proper anesthesia in stock and ready. Someone on FB says how much cheaper it would be just let Molly have the puppy on her own. Well NSS! However, if she has complications with just having the singleton, I'm supposed to put her life in jeopardy to save money? Sheesh.

#10 ·
Do they not understand that Molly, more than likely, won't make enough hormones to stimulate delivery with just one puppy? I really dislike when people start telling you what to do, or micromanaging the situation, when they are not even there. Sheesh. Save money, really? At this point it is about the safety of mom and puppy, cost notwithstanding.

#16 ·
They certainly can be larger than a puppy from a full litter.
The placenta produces progesterone, and when they get close to whelping the progesterone production drops dramatically, which stimulates labor. One puppy's placenta isn't usually enough to do that.

Let us know what you get Laura!

#20 ·
At this point I think Molly has something going on either with her ovaries or uterus. She'll be spayed and her owner has instructions to make sure the vet who spays her checks her reproductive parts very carefully to see if they can see something. Just part of the fun of breeding. It happens.
Sorry. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.