Am I confusing Tess or being unfair to her.

Thread: Am I confusing Tess or being unfair to her.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultAm I confusing Tess or being unfair to her.

Until her surgery everytime I sit on the sofa she jumped up sitting so close she was on top of me, then would slide down and sleep with her head on my knee. We both love it. Since her knee she hasn't been able to jump on the sofa. She is such a good girl, and even though she doesn't like the crate goes to it and doesn't bother to try and get out. I have been feeling bad so tonight pulled squabs off the sofa and sat on the floor with her so she could curl up beside me.

I put her back in her crate when I had to see a client, then when I came back tried to see if she would pee then back in her crate. She wanted to sit on the sofa squabs and refused to go to the crate. I had to be really stern with her.

What I am not sure is? I am making it harder for her to go back to the crate, by letting her sit with me. Should I just leave her in the crate and wait a few weeks when she is able to come out.
    or will she accept she has time with me on the floor then back to her crate.
    It is hard enough for her, and we have a long way to go without becoming confused.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Oh Chris....I would have done the same thing. It is something Tessa loves so much and she has been though a lot. I am sure it was comforting to her. I'll just bet, she'll go into her crate for you, once she realizes mama is coming back to cuddle again and again. I think once she knows she won't be left in the crate all the time, and has time with you, she will go back in and wait for the next cuddle time. Poor girl. Poor you! It is so hard to watch them suffer, when you know they don't understand why it is happening to them.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I would have done the same thing,too. The object of the crate rest is to keep her from being too active, so there's no reason she can't lay on the floor like that with you at times. She'll figure it out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I would say that it's confusing her, but I think that I would "feel" the same as you Chris.

I only crated Jasper if I was going out of the room as I had made the sofa out of bounds so he just lay on the floor - he's not really a bed person - dog or human.

Same at night as I slept in the same room downstairs.

Makes me realise what a good boy Dylan was for not disturbing him !

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't say you're confusing her....she will learn to adapt to the new "routine".
    Taking her out of her crate and letting her cuddle with you is really going to help her mental state.

With Java, I would take her out of her ex-pen and go outside with her.
    I'd set a blanket down on the grass, grab some ice cream and lay on the blanket in the warm sun and eat ice cream with her and just relax.
    We did this at least 3-5 times a week. But she knew when we went in that she had to go back in her pen.

But still, she really loved just being outside with me and it helped improve her mood.

Keep doing that with Tess, add it as part of your new routine.
    She'll adapt quickly.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    I wouldn't say you're confusing her....she will learn to adapt to the new "routine".
    Taking her out of her crate and letting her cuddle with you is really going to help her mental state.

With Java, I would take her out of her ex-pen and go outside with her.
    I'd set a blanket down on the grass, grab some ice cream and lay on the blanket in the warm sun and eat ice cream with her and just relax.
    We did this at least 3-5 times a week. But she knew when we went in that she had to go back in her pen.

But still, she really loved just being outside with me and it helped improve her mood.

Keep doing that with Tess, add it as part of your new routine.
    She'll adapt quickly.
    I agree with this, and I don't think you did anything wrong, I would have done the same thing. You are an awesome dog mom, Chris!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Chris, if Shadow learned that she was only allowed on the bed when Bill was not home, then Tess will learn that there are time she can be on the cushions with you and times when she has to be in the crate. I would suggest making sure the cushions (squabs) are on the couch unless you can be on the floor with her - then she won't try to lay on them!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    Chris, if Shadow learned that she was only allowed on the bed when Bill was not home, then Tess will learn that there are time she can be on the cushions with you and times when she has to be in the crate. I would suggest making sure the cushions (squabs) are on the couch unless you can be on the floor with her - then she won't try to lay on them!
    Now why didn't I think of that. She sees her bed on the floor so naturally will go to it, rather than the crate. Thanks Jackie and everyone else.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

amazongold is offline Senior Member

(((hugs))) I hope Tess heals quickly so life can get back to normal for you - at least as normal as life can be with those two Lab characters!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I agree with what Jackie said. It's a new routine and she will get used to it. Just move the squabs back onto the sofa. Hugs to Tess.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"