Shall I put steps on my bigger bed for Cassie?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shall I put steps on my bigger bed for Cassie?

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

DefaultShall I put steps on my bigger bed for Cassie?

I got a bigger bed which is higher than the one I used to have. The previous one was very low to the floor and Cassie was getting on the bed easily.
    My new bed is much higher than the old one. It's 60cm tall (23.6 inches) and Cassie has to make a bigger jump to get on and off the bed. It's very high for her.

I know it's not good for her age to run and jump until they've grown. So, shall I place steps for Cassie to get on and off the bed? She jumps many times on the bed daily.

Thanx.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What I'm worried about is that the jumping on and off the bed is on a daily basis. 60cm might not be high but on a daily basis it might be hazardous for her bones.

Any thoughts?

Foxred12 is offline Senior Member

I also have a tall bed, (not for sure the height, but think is it close to 30"). I don't have room around the bed for steps, so when the dogs want on the bed, they sit beside it and whine/bark, the typical "Hey I want to be with you" stuff. I lift them up on the bed when they want up and then do a gentle lift down supporting them with my hip and my arm around their belly and a hand on a collar so they don't jump down that hard. Mostly a slide type deal down the side of my leg.

Kid 12, Squirt 6, Tosh 4,
    Curly Born 11-10-2011
    Ember 9/10/2000 -- 8/25/2012

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. Roger Caras

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I thought you didn't want Cassie on the bed? Funny how these Labs get their way, isn't it?

To answer your question, I'm not sure -- would like to see what others say. It makes sense that it would possibly be too much for her, especially since she is still growing. She's 9mos right?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Personally, if my dog was growling at me she sure would not have a privilege like sleeping on my bed. Good things like that need to be earned in my world.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxred12 View Post
    I also have a tall bed, (not for sure the height, but think is it close to 30"). I don't have room around the bed for steps, so when the dogs want on the bed, they sit beside it and whine/bark, the typical "Hey I want to be with you" stuff. I lift them up on the bed when they want up and then do a gentle lift down supporting them with my hip and my arm around their belly and a hand on a collar so they don't jump down that hard. Mostly a slide type deal down the side of my leg.
    Cassie doesnít whine or bark to get on the bed. She can easily jump on and off the bed. But I donít want her to jump at that height.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    I thought you didn't want Cassie on the bed? Funny how these Labs get their way, isn't it?
    To answer your question, I'm not sure -- would like to see what others say. It makes sense that it would possibly be too much for her, especially since she is still growing. She's 9mos right?
    I like having Cassie on the bed.  They know how to make you to give in and get their way. Lol
    Yes, it is too much for her but she still jumps and I donít want her to jump. Yeap! Sheís 9mo now.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Personally, if my dog was growling at me she sure would not have a privilege like sleeping on my bed. Good things like that need to be earned in my world.
    Yes I agree with you but she did growl 3 times on catís poop and for the charcoal. Maybe it was my bad pulling her from above the neck and I might have caused her pain. But not letting her now on the bed she wouldnít know the reason Iím not letting her. She wonít know that I donít let her on the bed because she growled at me 2 days ago.
    Iím also wondering if I put steps for her on the bed will she use them!? Or she will still jump? I know I have to show her at the beginning that the steps are for getting on and off the bed, but I donít know if she will use them. I guess I have to try and see.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I have to agree with this and if I had a 9 month old puppy growling at me 3 times in a very short period of time I would be using NILF to teach the puppy this behavior is not acceptable. It may be true she won't associate her growling with a new "life style" right away but she will quickly learn that bad behavior is NOT acceptable. If you don't nip this behavior in the bud you are going to have a problem on your hands. I would definitely get this under control before I worried about her getting back on the bed.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistarkos View Post
    Yes I agree with you but she did growl 3 times on catís poop and for the charcoal. Maybe it was my bad pulling her from above the neck and I might have caused her pain. But not letting her now on the bed she wouldnít know the reason Iím not letting her. She wonít know that I donít let her on the bed because she growled at me 2 days ago.
    It's not really to associate growling = no bed. It's to establish your position as the pack leader. I used NILF to first esatblish Miko's bottom of the rung order in our family (poor thing ). And I continue to use it to this day.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

Ok then, what would you do if your dog growled at you? How would you showed him that growling is not acceptable!? How would you correct it??

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I would go back to the basics and use NILF (nothing in life is free). She would work for food and rewards until she learns that bad behavior is not acceptable.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast