Custom SUV Crate - DIY

Thread: Custom SUV Crate - DIY

Jes
    Jes is offline Member

QuestionCustom SUV Crate - DIY

Hello! We're getting a new smaller SUV and I'm wanting to make a custom sized crate for my dogs (2 labs - 75 & 100 lbs) to fit in the back. My original thought was 2 plastic kennels but it is too small. Unfortunately I'm going to have to crate them together and would like to go the DIY route to save cash. My problem is trying to make it lighter weight so I can lift it in and out myself. I've seen many that are made out of wood but I think that would be too heavy when it's all said and done. We go to the lake a lot so I don't think it would be ideal with getting wet and cleanup either. Ideally I would think a light metal or plastic would be great for lighter weight and cleaning but I'm not all too sure what materials to use. I've seen slimmer side by side kennels made for SUVS but most are wire and I'm trying to avoid the wet dog smell in vehicle so it would need semi solid side panels. Has anyone gone this route before? Any suggestions would be wonderful!
    Tucker & Remington's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Handysmurf is offline Senior Member

You could use plastic deck lattice as the sides, top, bottom, and hinged door, all of it bolted together using aluminum right angle for more weight savings. The metal "rails" will also give you a place to fasten the door hinges and latch to. The plastic is soft enough to not harm the dogs, is rather resilient, and easy to clean. The bolts should go from the inside out so the bolt heads and nuts will not harm the dogs.

-Mike-
    Paramus, NJ

Would you like to buy a vowel ?

patm is offline Senior Member

If the crates are in your car, it will be hard to keep the "wet -dog smell" out of it. You can't have completely solid sides because it has to have ventilation. I've found that crating my dogs in the car does help keep down the dog hair and the smell on the seats, but there's still plenty of hair and smell anyways.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jes
    Jes is offline Member

I will definitely look into the deck lattice. I did find some light weight aluminum I might try to bend and weld. Still kicking around the idea.

Of course there would be ventilation no matter which route I go. I love this Ana White | Build a Large Wood Pet Kennel End Table | Free and Easy DIY Project and Furniture Plans
    but unfortunately it would be too heavy to lift in and out.

Thank you both!
    Tucker & Remington's Mom