Update on Bentleys alloofness

Thread: Update on Bentleys alloofness

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultUpdate on Bentleys alloofness

It is getting a lot better. BUT the person can NOT go to Bentley, Bentley has to go to them. Once he goes to them and sniffs them he is fine. Today we had someone come over(unexpected!) and he did really good. You guys won't even believe this....He even gave this man his WATER BOTTLE to throw! Now when it comes to Bentley and his water bottles he only allows certain people to touch them. I thought the world was coming to an end,lol. With the dog part it is still a work in progress. Like I said before not a lot of dogs around here I would not trust being 5 ft by them...so why would I trust them around my dogs? There are a few dogs that family members have that are helping him over-come his "problem" with. I have also stepped up on NILF. We also do a lot more obedience....sitting/laying down at stops signs, recall training in the park ect.. So I am guessing the extra mental and physical exercise is helping. I can kind of work around the dog "aggression"(I think it is more fear aggression) since Tank is DA(with certain dogs),So it is something I am used to working with. But I am not going to make the same mistake twice and I am wanting to work with Bentley to where he can be around other dogs peacefully but doesn't have to play with them.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Sounds good, Deidra, just make sure you don't overaccomodate Bent by always having it his way -- him approaching people instead of the other way around, otherwise you will only prolong the issue.

deidra is offline Senior Member

yeah I know. I am starting off slowly though and working my way up. With dogs it is more if that dog is bouncy,barking, in his face and thisclose all the time he gets aggravated,I think.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.