Good thing or Bad thingg!! over protective!!

Thread: Good thing or Bad thingg!! over protective!!

Robert01 is offline Member

DefaultGood thing or Bad thingg!! over protective!!

my yellow lab is 7 months already and her name is fonyx! and she barks at everybody she dosent know so i was wondering is this a good thing or bad thing?? is she being over protective or just tyring to protect me ?? so i would like yalls thoughts ??
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I don't think it's a bad thing to bark at strangers, but they should stop on command. I tell mine "it's OK" or "quiet" as a signal to stop barking.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    I don't think it's a bad thing to bark at strangers, but they should stop on command. I tell mine "it's OK" or "quiet" as a signal to stop barking.
    ^^This.

Also I wouldn't necessarily presume it is protection barking, Labs are curious dogs and love people, perhaps this is her way of saying hello. If you are thinking it is protection consider her body language as well, but note that a wagging tail does not always mean a happy dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree it may have NOTHING to do with being "protective". I would say barking at most average people is a bad thing and could be a sign of lack of socialization, lack of confidence, or possibly lack of training (if she is barking to say hello and out of excitement). Barking sometimes at sketchy people can be fine if when you ask they stop.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Mike Richards is offline Senior Member

Ozzy will bark at people coming near the house (no training he just started doing it) as long as he stops when i tell him to i will let him get on with it..
    Ozzy Born 19th March 2012

Axel Born 19th Aug 2009

Never moon a werewolf....

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Mine barks at cats and other dogs that walk up our street. People....nope, she thinks everyone is put here to love her...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    ^^This.

Also I wouldn't necessarily presume it is protection barking, Labs are curious dogs and love people, perhaps this is her way of saying hello. If you are thinking it is protection consider her body language as well, but note that a wagging tail does not always mean a happy dog.
    i do think this is her way of saying hello cus she barks at anybody she dosent know!! and i ll usually let them pet her when shes bariking at people and then she stops!! its like she shaking their hand or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    agree it may have NOTHING to do with being "protective". I would say barking at most average people is a bad thing and could be a sign of lack of socialization, lack of confidence, or possibly lack of training (if she is barking to say hello and out of excitement). Barking sometimes at sketchy people can be fine if when you ask they stop.
    i dont think shes being protective.. i think she just a curious dog and this is her way of saying hi to people cause she loves everybody that meets her...

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Mine barks at cats and other dogs that walk up our street. People....nope, she thinks everyone is put here to love her...
    lol! mine barks at littelrallyy everthing shes sees like other dogs cats squirrels and birdss,!! but the only thing is she dont bark at the people she knows!
    Last edited by Robert01; 09-12-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Richards View Post
    Ozzy will bark at people coming near the house (no training he just started doing it) as long as he stops when i tell him to i will let him get on with it..
    ok ohk mine stops whenever i pet her fur or rub her tummy and she calms downn!!