Cassie ate charcoal!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cassie ate charcoal!!!

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

DefaultCassie ate charcoal!!!

Cassie just ate charcoal. I don't know where did she find it, I don't have any charcoals at home. Maybe she diged somewhere in the yard and found it.

I was in my room and heard her chewing something. I went and saw her eating charcoal. I tried to take it away from her but she growled at me (again).

Is charcoal dangerous for them? I text my vet and I'm waiting a reply.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Are you sure it was charcoal?

It is given to dogs that have been poisoned I believe it binds the toxins or whatever but I think that is activated charcoal, not sure about regular charcoal, it may just pass through her. Do a quick google search while you are waiting for your vet or others here to respond.

You can text your vet??

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Probably will make her throw up but unless it is chemically treated (petroleum product) its probably ok.

I'm more concerned that she keep growling successfully at you. That's completely unacceptable behavior and my dogs would be in deep trouble if they growled to keep something away from me. You really need to address ths immediately.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think it's petroleum charcoal. Made of woods and stuff.

Dixie, yes I can text my vet. I have his mobile number. Plus I have the 24hr emergency number.

How shall I address the growling issue? I know that I have to let her know that I am in charge and not her but if ii tried with a strict tone of my voice but she won't get it. I was holding her head down on the couch to get the charcoal and she was growling. I didn't want to get a bite! I can take her kibble away while she's eating but if she has something in her mouth she won't let me. For some things she let's me take them out of her mouth, but for some others she won't.
    Last edited by mistarkos; 09-08-2012 at 11:16 AM.

From a google search seems to be ok. She might drink too much water and urinating a lot.

Vet just called me back. He said that he encountered this issue many times. He told me not to worry and she will be fine. The amount of charcoal she ate was too small to affect her in any way. She might not vomit now because it's been an hour since she ate it.

He told me if she has diarrhea to give her i/d food. He told me to call him again when she poops and let him know how her poop was.

I will add "Charcoal" in Cassie's "I CAN EAT THIS TOO" list! Lol

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie got hold of a charcoal that had the pre-lit lighter fluid built in it. I was so worried too. It ended up not hurting her, but I was worried. I think you need to address her growling at you! I could put my whole hand in Sophie's mouth and never get growled at or bit!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Glad the charcoal won't hurt her, had me wondering all day.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I, too, have a growler. We have worked and worked on this issue. Now I don't take things forcefully, but have trained Teddy to give me what is in his mouth if I ask. Usually if I put out my hand and say "thank you" he will drop it into my hand. However I don't think I would or could stick my hand in his mouth to retrieve something he didn't want to give up.
    If he has something that he is protecting, he will lower his head and growl. Usually will run behind something. I say thank you and he will give it to me. Usually. Teddy is still a work in progress.
    Last edited by Jefferson'n'Ted; 09-08-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

bett is offline Senior Member

Start teaching "leave it".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast